My rear brakes are locked help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

My 1995 Integra LS coupe was sittng for about a week, while I was working on it. When I went to drive it the rear is making a bumping noise. I think the rear brakes are still engage from the parking brake, but the lever is down the cables in the cabin are moving.

Any thoughts?

the rears are just locked... it happens... basically there are a few things you can do...

first make sure the e brake is off and drive it around your house till they both unlock... shouldnt take 20 ft

next... you can take the wheels off and see if everything is ok... and try to unlock them that way....

:sad: Alright so driving it around didn't free them. So it looks like I'll be taking off the wheels. Once the wheels are off, what do I do to free the calipers?

try turning the piston in just you were doing a brake job. make sure you have the tool to do this though, looks like a C clamp with a plate that has 2 'dots' sticking out that engage into the groove in the piston and turn it in.

If nothing works to free them up, your probably going to have to get new calipers. they usually dont freeze up like that so quick, but they might have been froze beforehande, and your only realizing it now...

-Chris

So my calipers are definitely dead in the rear :(. I tried resetting them and they just did the same thing. Does anyone know where I get capilers for a 95 integra ls?

I found a pair of loaded capilers at autozone for 160. This seems a lil high. Anyone know of other options?

NAPA, Foreign Auto, Levines (not where i would try)...any parts store should have them. try NAPA first though, they usually have good prices, though i get a good discount too...

-Chris

When I replaced my rear pads, I used a large flathead screwdriver to screw the pistons back in. If your pistons have a large "+" pattern in them, try that.

I did reset the capiler piston with a very large flat head. Unfortunitely I still had the same problem once I started the car. I am pretty sure the rear capiler went. It doesnt surprise me I just wish there was a cheaper fix since $$$ is tight right this min

Alright I need a set of rear capilers. While I am doing those I am going to replace all four rotors and all four sets of pads. What should I get for rotors and pads. My first thought was brembo blanks and axxis pads.

Back