My Ride

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Okay, so I realized this week that the money I'm gonna need to pay off the machine shop for my super high revving b16a will not be coming until the summer, so I am doing my best to get the good ol b18a back and working so I can drive it. I pulled the head this weekend, thinking my pistons would be completely shot, have dings and crap on them from the tensioner going out and slipping up the timing belt. Here is what I found.

s409e8d8199d05.jpg

This is a pic of the block after I cleaned the uber thick oil and carbon mess off the pistons with about 1/2 can of brake cleaner. No dings, dents nada.

s409e8f22d4680.jpg

This is a close up of one of the pistons.

The pistons looked good, and I am guessing that since the valves were all shut, that there was minimal, if any bending of the valves. I didn't get a pic of the head, cause I forgot, but if I go by my parents house today, I'll snap a few pics and upload them.

Quick question. Anybody have any pr3 pistons they want to sell me for like 20 bucks plus shipping? Since the motor is apart, maybe I can get a few extra ponies by bumping the compression. Another quick question. anyone ever run pr3 pistons and the stock pr4 ecu ever have any problems with detonation? If anything, I could retard the timing a bit, right? Anyway, hit me up if you have some inexpensive pr3's you want to give me. :D Thanks.
Mike

Well, if you still have them when I get some money do go to the dealer and get the gasket set, I'll pm you to see about buying them. I don't really need the rods, but it would save me some money in machine shop costs for getting the wrist pins pressed. ANyway thanks.

Here are some pics of the head. As you can see, the valve seals were NOT my friends. the entire intake side is coated in oil residue.
s409f2a9450927.jpg

s409f2adce7f01.jpg

s409f2aa407543.jpg

You can't really tell from the last pic, but there is major oil residue in the intake ports. I am guessing a lot of blowby as well from the crankcase breather tube. I am definitely investing in a catch can. I also have a leaky rear main seal. Pretty much oil leaks out the ass on this motor. That is what happens when you go ebay. But the motor ran for 40,000 after I installed it. I only paid like 150 for the entire block including shipping, so I couldn't complain. My car has a good amount of miles as it is. Check it out, I put half of those miles on it in about 3 and a half years.
s409e8ef783d74.jpg

Damn...I'm at 49,640 right now...and I think thats gettin up there. lol Nice pics...shitty oil blowby problem.

Love the gauges...I want some white faces for my car too, are those indiglo or just white faced?

They are EL. I know I'll prolly get flamed by someone for having the white bezel, but it does look good, not a crappy paint job at all. It is glossy, I did it primarily to reflect the EL glow of the gauges, they look really good at night, but they obviously ruin your night vision if they are up too bright. Here is a pic of the controller I mounted "temporarily" for like 2 years. :)

s409e8ea49eb25.jpg

Oh yeah here are a couple of pics of the car. It's not the best car around, but all my friends tell me it's a nice car. I think they are just humoring me sometimes tho.
s409e8d671389a.jpg

s409e8ee800012.jpg

s409e8f38be6fb.jpg

You can see my beater mazda 626 in the background. That car was a godsend. I had gotten this mazda for the price of regristration($32), a gasket kit and head rebuild. In total with a new radiator ( the old radiators were only single row, and were the source for much head gasket trouble with these motors) I paid about 800 bucks for it, and I finished working on it just in time for my teg to take a dive. Funny Story.

Oh man, don't feel bad. Your calipers could look like this.

That's actually one of the nicer DA's I've seen in a while. :thumbsup:

Some bronze Rota C8's would look real good. :)

lmao, aren't those Smonkeyboy's calipers??? Yeah, some sport bronze c-8's are in the plans, or some black enkei np-01r's or whatever their names are. Thanks for the compliments. I am keeping all the black trim because it accents the car's lines well. I'm thinking about later on fabricating a new rear hatch where the glass is more vertical, so the edge comes up to right behind the rear speakers, and then a flat CF deck at the back for an nsx look, but not sure if it will ever happen.

If I do anything to the brakes, its gonna have Wilwood enscribed on the caliper. And no baby blue paint. lmao. :D

Back