My rubbing/crinkling noise turns out to be bad LCA bushings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

Yeah so I fixed my speedometer sensor today, turns out it was just corrosion on the wire terminals, so I scraped off as much of the white shit as I could, and then filled the wire plug and the sensor plug with as much dielectric grease as I could squeeze into there. Speedometer now works like a charm.

While I was doing this, I was hanging out at my friends house who is a mechanic, and gives me ideas for how to fix shit, and lets me use his awesome array of tools, including air tools. Sometimes if the job is too much for me, I pay him to fix it. So I was telling him about the weird crinkling sound coming from the wheel well when I was just starting to roll, and the faint wobble sometimes that I get. He told me to jack up each side and check for play when I pull on either side of the tire, back and forth. Sure enough I got assloads of movement. He was watching under the car while I was tugging on the wheels, and he said it was the inner control arm bushings that were moving around, thus they're most likely shot. I asked him if he thought it was due to the car being a couple inches lower wearing them out, he said they probably are just old and wore out over time anyway. Also the inside part of my tire treads is already almost bald from the slight negative camber. This sucks.

So I ordered a set of inner and outer bushings today and they should be on the car by the end of the week. My mechanic said he may be able to press em in himself with a small press that he has, but that I might have to take em to a machine shop and have them press them in. I think though that it might be a real good idea for me to get myself a camber kit right away. I can't afford to buy new tires every couple months.

I ordered a adjustable upper a-arm camber thing sunday night. I remember when I first swapped the B16 in there was very slight negative camber, so maybe the springs didn't do it as much as I thought. Anyway the new bushings and camber kit should hopefully stop this from happening again in the future.

Back