My Seafoam review.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
So I've read on Honda-Tech about how much ass Seafoam kicks, and figured I'd try it for myself. My motor is a 95 B18C1 with an unknown amount of miles on it. It doesn't smoke, and it runs pretty smooth, but it's been acting fucked up lately, with ignition issues. I changed the plugs and the distributor, and from time to time it would still sputter. I got it to stop, not quite sure what I did but it isn't doing it anymore. I'm pretty sure it's because of my crappy-as Magnacor plug wires.

Anyways, I figured I might as well Seafoam it and see what happenes. I've read about how it should make startup smoother, make it idle smoother, and generally make it run better.

From what I understood from the 9 zillion threads, you're supposed to let your car warm up, slurp up 1/3 of the bottle through the brake booster line, kill the car, put another 1/3 of the bottle in the crankcase, and the remainder of the bottle in the gas tank. After that, let the car sit for around 10 mintues, crank the car, and drive about 5-10 miles to get all the shit out, and then change your oil.

I got a measuring cup, and figured out that since the Seafoam comes in a 16oz bottle, I should put about 5.3oz of seafoam per...um...spot. I had just driven about 20 miles, so I figured the car was good and warmed up. With the car running, I disconnected the brake booster line and stuck it in the measuring cup full of Seafoam.

The car died instantly. Fuck.

So I figured I'd have to rev the motor as it slurped up the Seafoam. So I ziptied the measuring cup to my NEWWWWW Ebay ITR-style strut bar and revved the shit out of it as it sucked up the remaining few ounces of Seafoam. It damn near died even though it was almost at WOT the whole time. Then I ran around to the driver side door and turned the key off. The fucking car kept running a good 10 seconds or so WITH THE FUCKING KEY OFF AND OUT. Don't know what the fuck that was about.

Anyways, I put 5.3oz into the crankcase and 5.3oz into the gas tank, and went to take a shit. About 10 or so minutes later, I returned and cranked the car. It ran like absolute shit, and smoked like crazy, but only for a few seconds. After that, it was kinda not smoky at all. I revved it up a few times, and then took it down the road. About 5 minutes later, after dogging the shit out of it, it had quit smoking but was still sputtering pretty badly. Nothing like fouling out brand fucking new spark plugs. So after I went ahead and changed the oil, I got another set of NGK's that I conveniently had in my glovebox, and slapped 'em in.

And it started right up.

And ran exactly as it did before.

No smoother startup, no smoother idle, nothing. If anything, it idled a few hundred rpm's lower than it did before. But that's it.

I took it down the road and beat on it, and it didn't smoke, but it didn't feel any smoother whatsoever than it did before.

Verdict: Seafoam is bullshit.

Seafoam isn't a miracle cure. It breaks up carbon and sludge deposits and cleans things up. Thats all it does. For a vehicle with heavy carbon build-up it works wonders.

On older motors the sludge is sometimes all that is keeping things from leaking. You remove the sludge, it starts leaking.. The product did it's job great. Its your seal that is worn out.

I would never put a solvent in my crank case anyway. I'm about to seafoam my integra. Intake? fine... Fuel? Fine. But not in the crank case.

heh obviously it didnt make my seals bad, but they didnt leak before I did it is what IW as saying. ;) I aggree. Dont put it in the crankcase.

As it has already been mentioned, I'll repeat it.. :lol:

Seafoam is an excellent product to dissolve carbon buildup/deposits.

If your engine has a tremendous amount of the above seafoam will help. If your engine is pretty free of carbon deposits ('free' being a term I'm using loosely).. then it won't make much difference.

I primarily use seafoam by putting a tablespoonful of it directly into the combustion chamber and let it sit for a couple of hours...helps to remove deposits in the chamber itself...

I've used it via intake manifold on one accord because there was so much fucking carbon buildup in the EGR ports and I was too lazy to clean them the proper way.
It made a HUGE difference.

Shit in the crankcase? FUCK NO. That's for oil only.

Back