My Tax rant...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
So last year I owed federal, and H&R block charged me $80 dollars for 1 hour of work.

This year, I got $967 back from state and federal on my taxes. What does H&R block do? They fucking charge me 142 dollars to do my tax prep... for a HALF HOUR.

$90 for fed, $52 for state. What a fucking rip off. Had I known I was going to pay out my ass for them to do .5 hours of work, I would have bought turbo tax for 60 bucks and done it myself this year.

Fortunately next year my sister in law will be a tax preparer and I can get them done for $20 bucks through her.

H&R block can be such a fucking rip off, and the sad part is we do their damn phone work every year, what a giant goddamn hassle it was... They decided to put one person in charge of getting their phone lines straightened out... across the country.

This one person never returned calls, either. Got really snobby with us and treated us like we're garbage. No discounts for saving the company 7000 a year in the NE Indiana area, I take it?

So now basically when I get my $967 back, I have already spent $142 of it on these clowns.

I guess this wasn't so much as a tax rant as a tax preparation rant. Unless you can get discounts, don't use H&R block.

/rant

But at least I'm almost done with the paperwork and shit to get my house. Pretty much all that is left is the appraisal/inspections, final paperwork and the exchanging of my keys. :)

there are actually some companies that will let you efile for free using their software if you fall within the requirments

i am definately not defending H and R in any way shape or form but i'm guessing something changed with your return to make them increase their fee to that extent

oh and H&R has set rates for everything, each form = $, each W2 = $, etc
you could have asked them prior to having your return done...

tax cut is free... you only pay 39 bucks when you submit it.

but nothing stops you from printing it out, and sending in the forms manually :)

anyway, tax prep places mostly charge base rate + $x per form

dont fret--- next year you get to write off mortgage interest :)

Why can't you do your own taxes? It is very simple to do. I've been using turbo tax online for the past 5 years, it keeps all my history too. This year my taxes only took me 1 hour to do, including all my deductions for contract work. I also got $400 back this year, much better than the $3k I owed last year. :)

I've been doing my own taxes since I got a on the books job. It isn't hard.

I dunno, it's easier for them to wander around the forms. This year I had K1s which was another 45 dollars for them to do.

Thats rediculous, from what I hear, H&R block people don't know their shit anyway.

I can do them buy hand, no need for Turbo Tax even.

Accounting Minor FTW!

Accounting is interesting. Real dry though.

Managerial Acct. FTW!

Thats rediculous, from what I hear, H&R block people don't know their shit anyway.

Accounting Minor FTW!

taxes are cake......... until you either:
A- make a lot of money
B- own a house
C- have a home office
D- have work expenses to write off
E- own your own business
F- all of the above

I usually do them myself, but I've been using Taxact.com for the past 2 years it's free for their standard version and 9.95 for the deluxe

Accounting Minor FTW!

Accounting is interesting. Real dry though.

Managerial Acct. FTW!

Yes, because now I have money to go to college with.

College is going to have to wait until 2010. Of course if I keep putting it off, I can go to Ivy Tech for free when I'm 65...

A- make a lot of money
B- own a house
C- have a home office
E- own your own business
F- all of the above

ah, crap.

A- make a lot of money
B- own a house
C- have a home office
E- own your own business
F- all of the above

Honestly, most of that stuff isn't that hard either. But your right though, if you don't have that stuff you can do a 1040EZ, which even a monkey could do.

A- make a lot of money
B- own a house
C- have a home office
E- own your own business
F- all of the above

Other then not having a house I found all that stuff to be easy. As long as you're organized through out the year that is...

Now as B knows. I bitched up a storm this year doing my own taxes.

Personal taxes and business taxes took me like 20-30 minutes total. That was with never doing taxes as a business before. super easy!!!!

When it came time to do stocks..... holy fuck did I hate life this year.
It's not bad when you do a buy 500 shares, sell 500 shares. but when you buy 100 buy 120 buy 150 of the same stock then sell 200 and buy 400 more then sell 120...

my god it sucks.

I'm still trying to figure out how to go about using this money.

1. Half of it going into an IRA and not touch it. The other half to use for misc. things with the house aside from the windows.

2. All 900ish into the windows, IF they're quoted for less than that. (doubt that anyway)

3. New tires & a tune up for the Civic, the rest into the house.

4. Use my CC for the house inspections/appraisal and pay off it off when I get my tax return, using the rest for misc. things as I stated before.

I do know one thing, I'm going to have my dad take out an extra $5 off my paychecks everyweek. I can do more with that extra 260 at once than saving it up over 52 weeks.

Decisions... decisions...

i think you'll have a hard time paying for appraisals and inspections with anything other than a check....

Can I borrow 500 then, B? haha

I paid for all my services with cash.

Also, Brian's taxes aren't that hard either. I have all of those (I don't have the money making website anymore) and I would say the worst was being a consultant.

Back