My Vtec is not kicking in?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lender69

I use to feel with my old P72 Ecu at times. But since I add a chip to it and messed it up. I had to get another one and at the time they only had a JDM 96 ECU. Since that day I dont hear or feel it? Can someone tell me whats the problem. Thanks again :worthy:

Can you give us a code on the ECU. It sounds like it's a non-vtec ECU, unless you've changed something you didn't mention.

Originally posted by scottp11@Jun 4 2005, 03:00 PM
Can you give us a code on the ECU. It sounds like it's a non-vtec ECU, unless you've changed something you didn't mention.
[post=507844]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats what the bar code says!!

#37820-P72-942
804-200038 G6

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jun 7 2005, 09:25 PM
i think by code he meant trouble code/CEL code.
[post=509373]Quoted post[/post]​

How can I find that? Let me know what I have to do. Thanks :worthy:

You probably need to get a Chilton's Manual, look up trouble codes, and find out where your diagnostic port is (i have a prelude, and i dont know if it is behind the center console like mine). Then jump the port with a paperclip and turn your car on to the acessory mode (I) and watch the check engine light for a code.

don't need a manal for that--- all of that is in our reference section.

so, you put an oem JDM 1996 p72 in the car?
did you use a conversion harness from obd2a->1?
was the previous ecu obd1?

why did you buy it from whomever if it was the wrong damn thign when theres 2314123123 ecu people out there?

I brought it from Full Throttle! My old Ecu was a P72 that came with the engine. They are still trying to fix the old one. I'm going to check if the guy installed the vtec wire. The old engine I had was a D15 non-Vtec. So it might be the wire not connected. I still have the same harnless! I'll let you guys know how it went. Thanks again for your help in this matter. LaTer B)

Am I mistaken or did JDM ECUs only come in OBD1? I know of a few different people running obd2 ecus on obd1 engines and vice versa. When I ask them, everyone has told me that Japan only had OBD1 untill recently? Is this total bullshit or what? I don't know any japaneese people to ask. :p

Part 2 - if this IS bullshit, how is my buddy running a 96 JDM p73 on his obd1 H22 with no conversion harness????????? :shrug2:

I dont know thats why i"m asking for help to solve this problem. I just want my vtec to work soon... It sucks to have a Vtec without the V kicking in.. :unsure:

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 10 2005, 10:44 PM
Am I mistaken or did JDM ECUs only come in OBD1? I know of a few different people running obd2 ecus on obd1 engines and vice versa. When I ask them, everyone has told me that Japan only had OBD1 untill recently? Is this total bullshit or what? I don't know any japaneese people to ask. :p

Part 2 - if this IS bullshit, how is my buddy running a 96 JDM p73 on his obd1 H22 with no conversion harness????????? :shrug2:
[post=510968]Quoted post[/post]​

Come on, I know one of you fuckers knows this. :(

have you read any of the reference material or are you just asking questions? sounds to me that even if someone told you how to do it you still couldnt figure it out...do some reading and get your hands a little dirty

I already printed out the material about the vtec. I'm going to mess around it today!!!!! Just wanted as much info as I could get. Thanks for the help :blink:

I open the Vtec head and the filter was clean. Check the wires and very looks like its connected. I'm about to throw in the towel!! How much would someone charge to fix this problem. Let me know thanks :worthy:

is the solenoid grounded? also is your speedo working? if not then that will stop vtec from working. How about throwing in a different ECU? Well thats all i can think of for now. Its sucks not having vtec since i had the same problem. well good luck and i'll keep thinking of other things that might help you.

Taco

are you throwing any type of ECu codes??...if you have a p72 and your not hitting VTEC then you should be throwing a CEL whether it hooked up right or not...becasue if its hooked up wrong then the ECU will still throw a code because its looking for somethings that not there and if it is hooked up right then it should still throw a code....cuz something causing the VTEC not to work. have you checked EVERYTHING?? remeber theres a number of thing that cause VTEC not to run...even if they have nothing to do with it (I.E.>> knock sensor, vehicle speed sensor, vtec solenoid) also, like taco said...check your grounding...it coule be as easy as one wire causing all your problems!!!

:withstupid: if the ecu is the ONLY thing that you messed with then i think thats your source. I'm not up to date on HS since i work out of town so you might have alrady done this. swap the ecu to a stock vtec one. heres one. have you checked the fuses?

Back