My Z6/Y8 Build-Up Suggestions/HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vmk23

Currently i have a D16Y8 in my crx and came across a cheap Z6 engine that i want to rebuild. It's got 220k miles on it and ran fine. I have been toying with a setup that will give me around 12.3:1 compression ratio using Z6 block, PM3 pistons, Y8 head and gasket. I've never done a build up before but really want to learn. Does this setup sound ok? is compression too high? What types of things will i have to worry about. I can run 93-94 sunoco octane but will this be a good daily driver? For the Y8 head i want to P&P w/possible stage 2 cam. Any suggestions are welcome! :)

If i need to get the Z6 block bored out at all what kind of pistons shouldi get comparable to PM3. I don't want to spend too much, i'm not going NOS or Turbo so i think i can stay stock but if i bore it out i don't know where to look.

Thanks!
VINCE

Compression is fine, but the PM3 pistons might just slam into your combustion chambers. If they're the D15 flat top pistons that I'm thinking of (don't want to look it up right now), the compression height is several millimeters taller than the D16 pistons. The extra height is used to make sure the piston deck is even with the block deck in the D15, and will make the piston deck higher than the block deck at TDC in a D16. That's a bad thing. You might want to try the PM7 or P29 pistons instead. The compression height matches the D16 specs, and they will net you 12.6:1 compression with the Y8 head and a standard gasket, and 12.0:1 compression with the Z6 head. Don't use the "2 layer thin Y8 gasket" that everyone talks about- you really don't need the extra bit of compression (harder to tune, high 12s is already high on pump gas), and it's harder to find anyway. Mid 12s for compression will run fine on 93-94 octane given good tuning.

Stage 2 cam? There's no such thing as just "Stage 2" cam. Every cam manufacturer has a different naming convention for their products.

You might want to just clean up your Y8 block and drop in some high compression pistons...

Back