Mysterious B18A component !?!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MofongoY2K

Here's the deal. I'm trying to register my "new" car (a '91 CRX with a B18A), but it failed the emissions test (the previous owner is one of those lucky bastards from FL). Now I'm trying to complete the gas recirculation and emissions systems. From a visual inspection, I can only spot a missing component as outlined (red) on the following picture that belongs to a similar car:

site1_t.jpg

I can't find its purpose on my lousy Haynes Manual. Can somebody tell me what this valve(?) is for? To what it is connected to? Also, would you guys have a vacuum hose diagram for '92-'93 Integra LS?

Thanks in advance for your help. :worthy:

PD: BTW, this is a picture of my engine bay:

site1002.jpg

Can you guys spot other missing emissions related components?

Thanks again!

those two hoses connect into the actual intake. I would sugges drilling a hole in your intake, and then buying a gromit and a "y" adapeter and some vaccum hose. All they need to see is the two hoses connected to the intake.

So the valve at the end of the intake (circled in red on the first picture) is called the purge valve? If so, that's sweet and probably what I'm missing.

Also, on one hand, the attachment of the grommet/nipple should not be a problem. On the other hand, MaaseyRacer, you mentioned a second vacuum hose. By that, are you referring to a first one from the purge valve and a second one from the valve cover? Also, would it be functional or does it need to be connected to the ECU in any way?

Thank you so much for you help. Today, hopefully, I'll be able to give it a shot when I get home.

:D

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Jan 6 2004, 05:08 PM
I will take a picture of my roommates LS motor tomarrow so you can see what I am talking about... :)

That would be awesome! These environmental-quality-people aren't too lenient if you know what I mean. Thanks again in advance.

As far as I know, the device in the picture with the black top is a valve that protects the throttle plate from slamming shut at wide throttle angles. I don't believe it has any value for emissions. However, I do not know its name.

The thing on the black is a vacume diaphram, what it does is ajust your idle according to vacume pressure, it is controlled by the IAC(Idle Air Controller) It lets you motor find idle. I did a zc swap into a crx and after i got her running it wouldnt find idle it would go from barly running to 2000rpms back and forth,it was looking for idle but it couldnt find it with no vacume pressure, n when u touched the gas it would go to revlimit and stay there, and there was no stopping it, that thing turned the throttle so hard it was difficult to overpower it with your hand on the throttle. What is missing from the Black is the EGR vlave. You would need a different intakemanifold to install one, Good luck ;)

yeah that EGR valve will do it to you, and just for future reference, you can test the EGR valve by running the car and reaching under the EGR and pushing up on the diafram
(under the ERG valve but part of the peace itself) if the idle changes its working

I just went through this on my 89 LX 4-dr with 92 LS. I live here in CA and had to go to ref but passed. the key here in CA for the EF is to use a 90-91 Teg manual intake manifold and ECU. I have the vaccum diagram as well. email me at LXVTEC@aol.com for the pics. As far as the EGR valve is concerned only automatics came with them so don't worry about it.

Originally posted by MofongoY2K+Jan 6 2004, 05:13 PM-->
MaaseyRacer
@Jan 6 2004, 05:08 PM
I will take a picture of my roommates LS motor tomarrow so you can see what I am talking about... :)

That would be awesome! These environmental-quality-people aren't too lenient if you know what I mean. Thanks again in advance.

no need i have it.

s4001ca1d5cc84.jpg

i dont know if that helps enough, but you can see the other 2 hoses that go into a REAL intake (not that cheap stuff......j/k)

what part of the test did your car fail: hc, co or nox? or did it fail the visual, and they just told you your missing something? if not, you may not be missing anything, just need to fix something thats not functioning correctly. and someone said something about a purge valve, i think there talking about a pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. if your missing it, there not very expensive, or if you have it and want to test it, its just a one way valve, just take it out and blow through it, air should only pass one way.

Back