mysterious pipe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ive got a d15b in my car like the 1 below.

engine1.jpg

if you look on the throttle body you'll notice there are two pipes coming out of it,a thin 1 for the fuel pressure regulator,and that bigger one that travels down into the block somewhere..

recently this bigger pipe in my car broke at the end where it plugs into the block,space is constricted i cant see exactly what it plugs into,but it plugs into something plastic ,actually the plastic end that the pipe goes into is what broke,,,this was accompained by highly erratic idling becauseof air getting into the throttle body

i fixed this by blocking off the end at the throtlle body,

when i start the car air escapes out of the plastic thing where the pipe used to go..

W.T.F is the pipe for!!!!!!!!!!!!! how important is it?????????????????????

it would be a mission and a half to replace it ,since its in such an obscure position!!

I think what you're talking about is a PCV hose. It's not that hard to replace, or you could just cap off the IM connection.

I thought you were talking about the IM hoses, since you mentioned the fuel reg. The only hoses comming off a D15 should be for the FIACV, the evap system (canister on firewall) and if you have an external MAP.

my engine is bone stock except for headers,looks just like the 1 in the picture,the pipe im refering to is the one just left of the thin 1 going into the fuel pressure regulator,in the pic it is slightly obscured by the throttle cable,

Yeah, it's a PCV hose. Either it passes through a fitting on the IM (near the runners), or it connects directly to the crank vent on the side of the block.

The PCV valve isn't hard at all to change at all on that engine unless it has dry-rotted/welded itself to the grommet it sticks it. Then it sucks. Otherwise get some needlenose pliers if you can't fit your fingers in and pull the S.O.B. out. Piece of cake.

it does go into the block so it definatley is a PCV,the car is running just fine,is it okay if i just leave the outlet on the throttle body capped off???and forget about the plastic thing (that is inaccessible )that sits on the block

just fix the damn thing. And FYI the fuel pressure regulator is on the other side of the fuel rail. So there is no hose going from the throttle body to it.

Back