MythTV

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am considering using ePSXe since it seems to be the most advanced of the emulators. I have a few other options as well.

so how does this work with Sattelite Tv, (direct TV)?

Would I need to have a DTV receiver for each input to the myth TV box?

And since I am a MythTV newb, this would alow me to pause and rewind live tv, while recoring another show at the same time?

thanks

so how does this work with Sattelite Tv, (direct TV)?

Would I need to have a DTV receiver for each input to the myth TV box?

And since I am a MythTV newb, this would alow me to pause and rewind live tv, while recoring another show at the same time?

thanks

On the back of your satellite box, there should be a serial port. The Myth backend can interface with this port (and the ports on the back of digital cable boxes) and control it that way. From there you can connect the video/audio connections into the composite/Svideo inputs on the back of your tuner. You'll have to get the scripts and tell Myth that it should control the channels via the satbox instead of the tuner itself.

Myth will allow pausing and rewinding of live tv. It will do this for as many tuners as you have. If you have two tuners, you can watch live TV on one while recording on the other or you can watch both at once with picture-in-picture. If you have three, four or more tuners, the sky's the limit.

You will need a satbox for each tuner, just the same as needing one for each TV. If you don't have enough serial ports to accomodate several satboxes, the Hauppauge (recommended BTW) tuners have IR blasters which can control the satboxes via IR. Just make sure that you seperate the blasters otherwise one will clobber both boxes and screw up your recording.

you mean to tell me that i can ditch my vcr and record stuff on a pc :thumbsup: i think that im going to start a project like this i have a 1.5 tb rack of scsi drives that i aquired a while back i guess im gona have to get me a MB and processor and a scsi card i have one tuner card but i think that im going to get a HD tuner also

So if I have an old SAT box and there is no serial port on it, it wont be able to control its interface?

On the back of your satellite box, there should be a serial port. The Myth backend can interface with this port (and the ports on the back of digital cable boxes) and control it that way. From there you can connect the video/audio connections into the composite/Svideo inputs on the back of your tuner. You'll have to get the scripts and tell Myth that it should control the channels via the satbox instead of the tuner itself.

Myth will allow pausing and rewinding of live tv. It will do this for as many tuners as you have. If you have two tuners, you can watch live TV on one while recording on the other or you can watch both at once with picture-in-picture. If you have three, four or more tuners, the sky's the limit.

You will need a satbox for each tuner, just the same as needing one for each TV. If you don't have enough serial ports to accomodate several satboxes, the Hauppauge (recommended BTW) tuners have IR blasters which can control the satboxes via IR. Just make sure that you seperate the blasters otherwise one will clobber both boxes and screw up your recording.

So if I have an old SAT box and there is no serial port on it, it wont be able to control its interface?

If you get a Hauppauge tuner card, which is the best supported, it has an IR transmitter that can be set up to control the sat box instead of the serial port.

mythview1.jpg

Crappy pic of the frontend doing its thing. Watchin Naruto and ST:TNG with picture-in-picture.

video tuner card.

this is a computer application.

Any decent video card today has an S-Video out port on it which can be connected directly to your TV, or if you have a VGA/DVI port, you can go with that.

That's why I am making multiple frontends... for the TVs :)

EDIT: Yes televised anime is teh suck, I just wanted to test both tuners and PIP did the trick.

Man i just found some thing to waste more of my money on i have allways wanted a HTPC but didnt realize that there was woftware dedicated to it. how well does the tvguide and other features of MYTHTV work.

More pics to answer questions. Sorry for the flash, the camera's older than dirt.

mythview2.jpg

Shows I recorded, just a couple Treks and a Roadshow for now.

mythview3.jpg

MythWeather. It's cold outside :)

mythview4.jpg

MythWeather's doppler radar.

mythview5.jpg

There's the recording scheduler. It will schedule recordings up to two weeks ahead.

mythview6.jpg

Search features for the scheduler. Search by titles, keywords, subjects, etc.

mythview7.jpg

Searching for 'nova'. I like my documentaries :)

mythview8.jpg

And the results!

mythview9.jpg

There's the crawler for the channel info. Themeable, movable, self-explanitory.

I'm still installing the rest of the features. MythVideo allows me to set up my anime and other videos for viewing through Myth. Episode info, box art, etc...

MythDVD rips DVDs and does the same thing, pulls data from IMDB and displays it a'la On-Demand. You can choose to rip just the video OR you can rip the entire DVD so that when you select it from the list, you get the menus and special features like a normal DVD.

MythStream... streaming radio.

MythFlix... a Myth frontend to Netflix. Check your queue, add and remove movies, see what's new. Fancy.

And of course, MythGame.

More pics soon!

And the big question... does it work on a TV?

mythfront1.jpg

mythfront2.jpg

Rather well :) Damn I need a nice flatscreen HD TV.

mythfront3.jpg

The lil' frontend. Not much to it, just an old 800MHz microATX with a geForce FX5200. The 5200's hardware MPEG decoder is saving my ass, I'll tell ya that :)

so i like the concept. im just not "in" on the terminology, lol. what is a front end? what does it do?

Back