n/a buildup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:andrew

i swapped a jdm b18c w/ lsd into my 97 dx coupe recently and now im trying to decide how im going to build it im looking to get 200 reliable whp ive thought of many different setups but since ive never done this before i was wondering what a good n/a setup would be from people who know more than me so any suggestions would be apreciated thanks

Didn't do it, but is it a b18c spec r or gsr?

either way stroking and boring it would bea good place to start.

Do the internals.Cams,inner and outer vavle springs.Pistons,Intake vavles,Better retainers.Do your exhaust like header,Hi flow cat,Good cat back or have your own made.A shot of nitrous always helps.And bored it out...I have not done this but i will be soon with a B16a2...Good luck on 200whp i hope you go well over it :thumbsup:

Headwork, high compression pistons, good solid cams, computer management/fuel control, and you'll be there

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 15 2004, 10:31 AM
Headwork, high compression pistons, good solid cams, computer management/fuel control, and you'll be there
[post=417005]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

There's no need to bore/stroke the GSR to get 200whp out of it. You don't really even need headwork- just a bump in compression, good cams, good intake/header/exhaust and intake manifold, then some good tuning and you're there.

well some things i had in mind were jdm itr header or ANR apexi world sport exhaust toda flywheel skunk 2 cams and maybe the skunk 2 manifold exedy stage 1 clutch thats not all ive thought of but does that sound like a good start

Yeah, that's definitely a good start... but if you really want to make power, you need to crank up the compression.

not trying to post jack here just a quick comment... i was thinking about building my b18c1 n/a as well with perhaps a 75 to 150 shot...is this possible with a stroker kit that replaces all internals and ups displacement to 2.0 and compression to 11:1
..kit comes with all forged internals so i figured it might be possible not sure though

Yeah you can do that, but I would recommend a sleeve job and boring out to 2.0L instead of stroking the engine. You'll get the same displacemen, be cheaper, and have better geometry for revving high.

ahh ok i see i'm really considering going this route with my car be on the look out for future posts with more questions :D

Look in to a individual throttle body set up.. They add like 20whp and look cool.. Plus you can use GSX-R TB's

Originally posted by 99SiRidinLow@Nov 16 2004, 12:56 PM
Look in to a individual throttle body set up.. They add like 20whp and look cool.. Plus you can use GSX-R TB's
[post=417712]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure they "look cool", but I would wait until you've done everything else possible before going to ITBs. They're harder to tune, generally require some kind of custom tuning setup, and they're NOT cheap. You can make 250whp without ITBs, and if this guy isn't even planning to go inside the block, why bother spending the cash on an ITB setup?

hmm.....well gearing is always overlooked, but you just got a new tranny.

CR is not bad in that motor at all...

Consider all the almost free mods, such as lighter chassis, smaller wider lighter rims, just remember you don't have to break down the motor just yet.

The recipe for my ~200 whp GSR:

Skunk2 stage I cams
Alaniz full port job and 5 angle valve job and milled .020
Stock valves, Portflow inners, ITR outers
JDM 4-1 header, cleaned up inside, full mandrel bent 2.5 inch header back
AEM CAI
Ported stock GSR IM
All fresh tuneup parts
Lots and lots of tuning=190/133

Now it has been retuned with a Skunk2 manifold. No dyno results(wideband street tuned it), but I can guarantee it makes more HP than before

gallery_32659_1_1100758888.jpg

if you go to my webpage, you can see the del sol ls/vtec i had that made 184 whp. all it needed was some wilder cams and it could have been up around 200 easily. (link in sig)

itb's really don't add all that much. tom's car picked up about 20 whp in the mid range, but up top, it was less than 5 and downlow he was down 15-20

Back