N/A LS Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Oil squirters are not for lubrication damn it. They are pointed at the bottom of the piston to help cool them.

With forged pistons, cooling becomes much less of an issue.

let the vtec people not respect the non-vtec crowd.

honda and the aftermarket companies have done an amazing job turning VTEC into cash in their pocket. if you are dumb enuf to think that a honda absolutly needs vtec to be fast go ahead and spend your money on parts that are marketed to those that dont do their research.

bottom line is, anyone that has VTEC swears by it, or is smart enuf and has been around/read enuf to realize that vtec is a great thing, but is not god. and those that do not have it either A. want to have it, or B. have found out that it isnt nessacary and can get more out of their motor for the same amount of money spent.

for example, here is a quote from team-integra.net about an LS with bolt ons and crower 62403 (aka 403's):
Originally posted by BlueTeg@team-inetegra.net on Jan/19/03
I know a few of you guys were interested in what type of numbers the Crower 403 cams made in an LS. I finally got them put in this weekend. Here are the results:

150 whp @ 6500 rpms
125 lb/ft tq @ 5300 rpms

fcc26ff5.gif

[RED]Baseline Run[/FONT] = aem cai, comptech header, 2.25" carsound cat, comptech exhaust = 132 whp, 121 tq
[BLUE]Dyno Run 007[/FONT] = same setup as above + Crower 403 cams, Crower valve springs, B&M fpr set at 40psi @ idle, aem cam gears (intake +1, exhaust -1), SAFC

Here is a dyno plot of the cams untuned vs. tuned
fcc26ff3.gif

[BLUE]Baseline Run-untuned[/FONT] = i/h/c/e, Crower 403's, Crower valve springs, B&M fpr set at 40 psi @ idle, timing at 16 degrees, aem cam gears (0,0) = 148 whp, 123 tq
[RED]Final Run-tuned[/FONT] = same setup as above except: aem cam gears (intake +1, exhaust -1), SAFC tuning = 151 whp, 126 tq

The guy who tuned it did an excellent job with flatening out that nasy dip in the power curve that you can see from 4300-5200. It dyno'd pretty well, powerwise, without any tuning what so ever putting out 148 whp. The guys that worked at the shop said I could have hit 155whp, but I told the tuner that I was more interested in fixing that midrange dip than boosting the peak power, he said no prob. And that he could probably pull out more power in both the midrange and top end. He didn't mess with the fuel psi at all, adjusted the cam gears once, and the rest of the runs he just kept toying with the SAFC to get better power.

My only beef with this mod, was/is the idle quality. When they initially started the car it sounded like poop!!! ~If these things are supposed to have a smoother idle than the 404's, I'd hate to see what those things idle like!~ They toyed with the fpr and safc to get it idle smoother, but its still a little lopey when I come to a stop. Hopefully I can fix this myself today with the help of StyleTeg's idle adjustment article.

98integrals, I want a link to the idle article you are talking about. I have a high comp. LS with stage 2 cams, skunk2 mani, and my idle is not the best. So this would help.

Back