N. Korea - Missle on launch pad

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity said:
This missile is reported to have a range of about 9,000 miles, by design.

The Taepodong-2 series missile that they have readied has a range of 4,000 kilometers.

FOXed again.

At its biggest and most power stage it can fly 4,300km = ~6,900miles. Basically that means it has the possibility of "going the distance"

But it never will.

first off... north korea isnt going to put a live warhead (nuclear or conventional) on a missile that they are testing for the first time... thats just stupid
however they will fire this missile though, because they need to prove that they have long range capabilities...
will north korea ever post a nuclear strike on america??? highly doubtful... they couldnt withstand the return attack...
think back to the cold war (for those who remember it) the only thing that kept the cold war "cold" was a little thing called M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction)... look it up its really an interesting concept... basically if the US or the USSR was to strike first, neither one could survive the return attack... both would have been destroyed... so that kept everyone at bay...
now if NK with their one ICBM was to strike the US they would be wiped off the face of the planet within minutes, without using 1/100th of our nuclear supply...
so no you do not have to worry about NK striking the US directly...
what you do have to worry about is what i have been predicting for a long time now... "within 10 years (about 6 years left now) north korea will be the worlds nuclear walmart"... what the hell does that mean??? that means they are producing this shit to sell to other countries, warlords, terrorists, farmers, grammer school teachers, etc... pretty much anyone that happens to have the money for one... in short NK will be selling nuclear devices, including ICBMs to anyone who comes through with the cash, to do whatever the fuck they want to with them...
so back to this ICBM that they are planning to test soon... like i said this is just to prove its range... they will most likely plunge it into the ocean somewhere, just so long as they have proof that it can go the advertised distance (better selling point if you have proof that it flies)... wouldnt osama (or any of the other terrorist ashats out there) love the ability to devistate an american city from 2000 miles away...
of course this poses a verry interesting problem for our return strike... its tricky fighting a "war" with an enemy that doesnt have a home land, or a population, or... well... anything really... so where as with the USSR we would have simply unleashed hell upon their major cities, utilities, and millitary instalations... its a little harder to unleash nuclear hell on a few people hiding out in an unknown location, in a country that may or may not even know they are there, let alone whether or not they support their cause or not... makes it really hard to aim your missiles

E_SolSi said:
first off... north korea isnt going to put a live warhead (nuclear or conventional) on a missile that they are testing for the first time... thats just stupid
however they will fire this missile though, because they need to prove that they have long range capabilities...
will north korea ever post a nuclear strike on america??? highly doubtful... they couldnt withstand the return attack...
think back to the cold war (for those who remember it) the only thing that kept the cold war "cold" was a little thing called M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction)... look it up its really an interesting concept... basically if the US or the USSR was to strike first, neither one could survive the return attack... both would have been destroyed... so that kept everyone at bay...
now if NK with their one ICBM was to strike the US they would be wiped off the face of the planet within minutes, without using 1/100th of our nuclear supply...
so no you do not have to worry about NK striking the US directly...
what you do have to worry about is what i have been predicting for a long time now... "within 10 years (about 6 years left now) north korea will be the worlds nuclear walmart"... what the hell does that mean??? that means they are producing this shit to sell to other countries, warlords, terrorists, farmers, grammer school teachers, etc... pretty much anyone that happens to have the money for one... in short NK will be selling nuclear devices, including ICBMs to anyone who comes through with the cash, to do whatever the fuck they want to with them...
so back to this ICBM that they are planning to test soon... like i said this is just to prove its range... they will most likely plunge it into the ocean somewhere, just so long as they have proof that it can go the advertised distance (better selling point if you have proof that it flies)... wouldnt osama (or any of the other terrorist ashats out there) love the ability to devistate an american city from 2000 miles away...
of course this poses a verry interesting problem for our return strike... its tricky fighting a "war" with an enemy that doesnt have a home land, or a population, or... well... anything really... so where as with the USSR we would have simply unleashed hell upon their major cities, utilities, and millitary instalations... its a little harder to unleash nuclear hell on a few people hiding out in an unknown location, in a country that may or may not even know they are there, let alone whether or not they support their cause or not... makes it really hard to aim your missiles

One problem arises with firing nuclear weapons at North Korea...

South Korea.

You would be sentencing just about everyone in South Korea to death via radiation and fallout by nuking NK, and Kim knows this.

Same with the reason why we can't simply nuke Iran... you'd kill so many other innocent people and the world would never sit still for that. Sure, every conservative can beat their chests and scream "Bring 'em on" but take a good look at places like China that have a greater population than us plus a military that would give us a run for our money (Thank Russia for that one).

In a fight between the US and most of the rest of the world, sorry Cons... we would lose. Even in a MAD situation, we're not the one with a singular target to aim at.

E_SolSi said:
(Mutually Assured Destruction)... look it up its really an interesting concept... basically if the US or the USSR was to strike first, neither one could survive the return attack... both would have been destroyed... so that kept everyone at bay...

I think its more important then NK having a long range missile.

NK is an unstable county, a place that is a prime target of terrorists to equip themselves with weapons.

NK may be afraid of M.A.D., but terrorists are not. The US needs to stand firm against this launch, as it will just make NK one more terror market place.

I don't see a nuclear war happening anytime soon. We have intelligence and special forces keeping an eye on high threats. How many ICBMs has NK successfully flown for any distance? If you know anything about large missiles, you know that they are subject to LOTS of guidance problems, and the guidance systems on ALL missiles are the most valuable systems on the missile. The US went through a lot of testing, and the aerospace big 3 put a lot of good engineers to work designing the control systems for launch vehicles. NK is quite a few years behind the curve imo, even if they stole technology, they'd still be way behind. I don't forsee a capable, production launch vehicle from NK anytime soon, unless, they steal the equipment from either us or the EU.

Sabz5150 said:
One problem arises with firing nuclear weapons at North Korea...

South Korea.

You would be sentencing just about everyone in South Korea to death via radiation and fallout by nuking NK, and Kim knows this.

Thats why we would just carpet bomb the hell out of them. Launch attacks from the water as well as the air and drop building busters on all their infastructure.

You don't need a nuke to decimate people - you need a nuke to insure that those people be poisoned and not around to reproduce for years to come. Any generic bomb could destroy a country, if enough were dropped and on strategic positions.

What are they going to do if we drop a bomb on their launch pads or missile silo? Its not our ass to deal with any nuclear fallout, and frankly its their fault for mishandling the nuclear matter.

Problem becomes getting the world's support to go in there and just rape them, which is why we would need a good reason like North Korea to launch a missile at us. For this reason, just like the very important M.A.D. principle that was brought up - NK isn't going to do anything but try to be a bully, who really isn't interested in fighting, just proving something. Fear is more effective because it leaves questions unanswered.

totalburnout said:

Problem becomes getting the world's support to go in there and just rape them
, which is why we would need a good reason like North Korea to launch a missile at us. For this reason, just like the very important M.A.D. principle that was brought up - NK isn't going to do anything but try to be a bully, who really isn't interested in fighting, just proving something. Fear is more effective because it leaves questions unanswered.
Black Op anyone???

reckedracing said:
in what city would this block be located?

or you can get em from 300 yards out with a 223 + scope
I know senate can agree with me on this. 500 yards iron sights. basic Marine rifle qual. Or we can use are good M82A1 .50 cal sniper rifle and bump up the accuracy to 1800 yards.

allbottledup said:
I know senate can agree with me on this. 500 yards iron sights. basic Marine rifle qual. Or we can use are good M82A1 .50 cal sniper rifle and bump up the accuracy to 1800 yards.
thumb.gif
hell yea

500 yards on iron sights is a bit tough to believe.. but then again, alot of these people live with, eat with, and sleep with their rifles for years on end.. so I suppose its possible to just know your gun that well...

and as far as the military sniper rifles.. only the snipers know their true distance.. And I'd be willing to bet its mind blowing.

phyregod said:
500 yards on iron sights is a bit tough to believe.. but then again, alot of these people live with, eat with, and sleep with their rifles for years on end.. so I suppose its possible to just know your gun that well...

and as far as the military sniper rifles.. only the snipers know their true distance.. And I'd be willing to bet its mind blowing.
umm, no its not. the whole basis of the Marine Corps is that you are a rifleman before anything else. trust me, you can accurately nail a person wherever you want from 500 yards out with an M16. in the last rifle qual i did, we got 10 shots from 500 yards. i hit 8 out of 10 in the chest/neck area.

the range for a .50 cal sniper rifle for a point target (a person) is right around 1800 yards. if is somewhere around a mile and a half i believe. i'm not at home, but i got a book on all the weapons at home, so i can check it out.

Last edited:
If North Korea launches a missile against the United States (translation: Alaska), we would have enough time to detect and shoot down the missile.

Ever heard of THEL?

I wonder if they ever got their recirculating gas lasers working.. They could zap it on the pad.

Seriously though, like 15 years ago they had a recirculating gas laser that could beam serious power.. enough that the small scale version bored a 6" deep hole in a block of bullet proof glass in a fraction of a second. dude said it sounded like lightning.

but the gas was only like 90% recirculating at that point, and that wasn't good enough for space... because they didnt feel like refueling them all the time.

p.s. at that point in time, it fit in a small room. (bedroom sized)
In 15 years they could have easily shrunk it down to fit in a satalite.

Last edited:
phyregod said:
I wonder if they ever got their recirculating gas lasers working.. They could zap it on the pad.

Seriously though, like 15 years ago they had a recirculating gas laser that could beam serious power.. enough that the small scale version bored a 6" deep hole in a block of bullet proof glass in a fraction of a second. dude said it sounded like lightning.

but the gas was only like 90% recirculating at that point, and that wasn't good enough for space... because they didnt feel like refueling them all the time.

p.s. at that point in time, it fit in a small room. (bedroom sized)
In 15 years they could have easily shrunk it down to fit in a satalite.

That's THEL. M-THEL (the mobile version) can fit on a humvee. I umm... "acquired" some test videos of that thing when they were developing it back in the mid 90's. You see a missile, you see THEL's beam focuser turn, you see the missile explode.

MIRACL was our first attempt at using lasers for defense. That was a HUGE laser.

So.. are we going to shoot it with a laser beam?? Maybe launch warfare into the future?

Just think.. that laser, miniaturized, mounted with the f-18's (or was it the f-22?) targeting system.. put the whole package on an unmanned aircraft. let her rip.

Being that the delivery is at light speed, and the range is retarded long, noone would ever see it coming. literally.

And yes, weapons grade lasers will bounce right off of special mirrors. so we may have some seriously "bling-bling" looking tanks in the near future.

Last edited:
Back