NASA is a buch of idiots

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by xyswany@Sep 8 2004, 12:49 PM
They can't even get a parachute to deploy?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5942268/?GT1=5100
[post=387500]Quoted post[/post]​

Shit always happens. We don't have enough cash going into NASA for things to be flawless. Also space is a very very nasty place, so don't expect every little piece of equipment to survive the heat, vacuum and radiation.

What about the Mars rovers? They're still going strong. Cassini is still checking out Saturn and will give us our first look at Titan's surface. Voyager... well, she speaks for herself.

Don't be so quick to call 'em idiots till ya know what they're up against. Turn the way back machine to the 70's... all but two of the Soviet Union's Venera probes survived the trip to Venus, and they only lasted about 20 minutes apiece. That doesn't mean they're idiots... just that they're dealing with extremely inhospitable conditions and not everything goes as it should.

I do not know about idiots, but that thing is several years old, and has been orbiting the sun. The satilite stuff is so sensitive, and one slight glitch can fuck everything up. Getting a parachute to deploy remotely cannot be easy shit. Yes I know they dumped a ton of money into it, but there were so many hands and companies working seperatly on it, to try and save NASA money. If NASA had a larger budget to do the work in house, and adhear to their own standards then I am sure less mishaps would happen with this stuff. Look at Hubble, they had several contractors building different parts, and one company forgot that science runs in the metric system.
Oh well shit happens.

$250 million dollars- dude that sucks

I understand the difficulties of space flight, etc, etc

but we put men on the MOON in 1969 and it's 2004 and we're having trouble bringing back satelites back from 3 years in orbit?

interesting theory, waiting to hear about how UFO's fucked it up this time... lol

also waiting for an "OUTBREAK" type scenerio with the epicenter in the middle of the dessert with that thing crashed...

i think safety should have taken a bigger role in this whole waste of money

Great...and they want us to shell out more money for them to fuck some more overpriced shit up. yay.

I guess it was bound to happen, but I was really hoping they'd catch it.

I mean, come on, they KNOW they have trouble with the whole "probes hit planet faster than we usually plan" thing, look at the Mars missions. Now, before you say, "But this is hard!" think which plan is more failure prone - leave probe in orbit, catch it with the shuttle or a soyuz or hell, have it cruise past the ISS, or just let it sit for a few years, nice and safe in orbit or "Let's have it drop through the sky like a bullet then deploy a chute and CATCH IT MID AIR! It'll be awesome!"

:D

Originally posted by DarkHand@Sep 9 2004, 10:24 AM
"Let's have it drop through the sky like a bullet then deploy a chute and CATCH IT MID AIR! It'll be awesome!"

[post=387881]Quoted post[/post]​

:lmao:

It is a device created by humans, so it is inherently imperfect. Sending something millions of miles off to the Sun, and bringing it back to the Earth is an immense undertaking, and to have it work on the 1st time would be lucky IMO. Its the same as when people are all freaked about a space shuttle breaking up or exploding. I mean, we are sending people into SPACE, not to 7-11 for some donuts and ice cream. Mistakes and design flaws happen, and all in all, the devices that NASA builds are qonderfully engineered and built, somethins they just fuck up.

Originally posted by DarkHand+Sep 9 2004, 09:24 AM-->
I guess it was bound to happen, but I was really hoping they'd catch it.

I mean, come on, they KNOW they have trouble with the whole "probes hit planet faster than we usually plan" thing, look at the Mars missions. Now, before you say, "But this is hard!" think which plan is more failure prone - leave probe in orbit, catch it with the shuttle or a soyuz or hell, have it cruise past the ISS, or just let it sit for a few years, nice and safe in orbit or "Let's have it drop through the sky like a bullet then deploy a chute and CATCH IT MID AIR! It'll be awesome!"

[post=387881]Quoted post[/post]​

Because launching a shuttle to go get an orbiting probe is expensive. Cost of fuel, crew, things like that. Also because of the Columbia accident, the Shuttles are for the most part grounded.

TDaddy
@Sep 9 2004, 09:24 AM
Great...and they want us to shell out more money for them to fuck some more overpriced shit up. yay.

The problem is that we AREN'T shelling out more money, otherwise they would be able to afford the aforementioned 'take a shuttle and grab it' plan.

Any guess where our money's currently going?

EDIT: Oh, the Mars Mission thing... I don't think that was a 'probes hit planet faster than we usually plan', it was more of an 'engineer gets really stoned and programs the craft in metric but did trajectory measurments in imperial' thing. The result is entering 1000 meters instead of 1000 feet... and creating a multi-million dollar crater.

Back