Nearly dead mirage?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
The mirage was missing and backfiring at the higher rpms.

i changed plugs + gap, rotor cap and rotor, retarded the timing a hair, normalized tire pressure (42psi once a week its hardly ever any different but check it anyways :)) and did a compression check.

181 193 182 181

wow! crazy. whats up with that?

the plugs were destroyed after 10k miles. the cap points had a really nice wear edge from the rotor, plus there must have been a gasket leak since there was a little dirt in there. i also changed the oil and filter.

started the puppy up, wow. its soooo quiet. it feels so much smoother now.

now that the motors quiet, something else is louder. ive got some really loud tappet noise between 3-4.5k . im going to check my valve lash saturday after i pick up my new wheels. i set it last time i changed the plugs, and checked it 5k ago and it hasnt changed.

opinions?

Glad I didn't get rid of the rex for it :ph34r:

Get a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from...

Quoted post[/post]]
Glad I didn't get rid of the rex for it :ph34r:

hell, you were going to get a super solid car with 75% of the parts needed to complete the big motor swap. now that percentage is 90% :) the motor has 183k on it right now, and its been beat to shit without complainnig for 43k of that by me :)

just remember, the parts i bought for the motor alone cost me almost as much as you were asking cash for the crx.

"without complaining" I hope you mean that loosely.

Anyway, I thought you were expecting troubles from the Mirage anyway, does this all surprise you ?

The NX out of the garage, now is the time to do the CRX. If you're serious about it, I need the commitment now so I can install the OEM radiator and lower support. If you're going to run it as is, I can do the timing belt and waterpump on it too.

without complaining is more in the, its not feeling tired or given me troubles, or left me stranded :)

oh you know it. the motor HAS got to GO. not suprised :wink: but the compression thing really blew my mind. it had lower compression when i put the worked head on.

yeah steve, i need it. price me out how much the belt and pump costs and pick either an afternoon or a weekend day and we will knock all this stuffs out.

oo dont forget the front main seal :) should we get a cam seal too?

Quoted post[/post]]
without complaining is more in the, its not feeling tired or given me troubles, or left me stranded :)

oh you know it. the motor HAS got to GO. not suprised :wink: but the compression thing really blew my mind. it had lower compression when i put the worked head on.

yeah steve, i need it. price me out how much the belt and pump costs and pick either an afternoon or a weekend day and we will knock all this stuffs out.

oo dont forget the front main seal :) should we get a cam seal too?

If you wanna come down and help. Time is of the essence here. I can't pull off the seals reliably in that time.

Bring tires.

Also, setup a head unit with factory Honda plugs - The car's harness is untouched. You can drive back with tunes.

Or I would say get it running, and bring an extra $200 for the Acura Integra (With it's shitty brakes) and bring a full DOHC ZC Swap home with you. It drives, but the body is rusted beyond belief (And the brakes, as I said, grind like a coffee machine)

the complete timing belt/pump/both seals takes me no more than 3 hours without air tools on the mirage. shouldnt be too hard :)

i can toss the SSC's on it for the time being.

dont want the teg, need a stock car :mrgreen: that i dont have to touch, ever. :)

will that swap work with my dead civic.....durrr..I know the answer already....but is that price the same for me if I want it? :wink:

whichever ones are cheaper :)

itll be getting the mirage's alpine for the time being. ive already got an alpine harness thats wired for both the mitsu's and the EG, but unfortunately the crx wiring is different :cry:

Well here's what you get:

the CRX, with it's body work. You'll get the factory seats and the Prelude seats (What am I gonna do with CRX seats ?)
You get another engine. An RPR built engine, that I believe is from Tom's Civic.
A complete head for the hell of it.

The only thing I really craved were the seats. You said you didn't want the radio or speakers (As long as it had some sort of speakers?) and the CD Changer.

I suppose the CRX seats would be easier to put in, but they aren't great. They have a huge gash on the driver's side rear of the seat, and they are about as flat as Clayton's were.

Oh, and you'll be getting both sides of the Radio connector. I just thought if you prewired one for the trip you could listen to the alpine on the way home.

ill fab in the lude seats later, no biggie. i just dont want to make a ton of work for you.

complete civic motor? just give it to clayton :)

good idea on the radio connector, but i wont be wiring in a radio for a week or so after.

well, yesterday the mirage left me stranded. the fuel pump died.

got the pump replaced with my dsm pump and wired up, and then the car started but was missing like crazy.

tested the distributor, barely any spark. i thought i took care of this... so $350 later and we'll see how it goes. if this doesnt work i can bring it back anyways.

B R U T A L

don't worry, my cars "dead" too

even better, i drove my landlord's minivan to work today, but never made it. i was taking off from a stop sign about a mile from my client, and an axle broke.

it was a silent break, and it was the shorter axle. wow. $140 for the tow, and $25 (i paid 1/2 the price of it from a buddy at the store) or the axle. tommy had it out and on there in 20 mins.

so 2 days off from work, and going in late tomorrow.

Back