1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a little help

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by Seany-izzle, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

My friend is upgrading his computer system and is parting his old one out. He has an ATI 448BB, apparently. I keep asking him about it telling me the model number this is all i got.... i put ATI 448BB into yahoo and google, came up with nothing. So i went to ATI's website and typed it into the search field, nothing... just quarterly reports or some shit... So yeah, can anyone tell me the specs on it?? He says its the one he used for HL, HL2, CS, CSS, Unreal, Battlefield, WoW, everqueer... all that shit. Im ASSUMING that its decent, all i want it for is CSS, plus i can get it for like 40 bucks, or cheaper. I just want to make sure before i buy this thing. OHHH one more thing, do i need software, or just plug it in a dont touch anything?? is there supplemental shit for it that i need?

THANKS! :mrgreen:

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

first, make sure your board supports it.

theres AGP1.0, AGP2.0, and 1x, 2x, 4x and 8x in AGP2.0
    plus, PCI-e (probably not a pci-e card if its old... thats pretty new to the market)

3. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

how do i find if my board supports it?? he has no book, no box, no nothing. just the card in his old case still.

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

PCI-E has been around since about fall of '04. Most mainstream boards and cards didn't start going with it till december/january though. That designation does nothing for us though really.

5. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

computer was bought in the summer of 02 if thats anything, and his computer was bought in like.. 04 or something. Should i just get it, put it in, plug it in, turn it on, and hope for the best?? see if it works or not? i mean, right now that seems like the only way.

6. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

You'll need to download drivers for it. How old is your motherboard?

7. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

maybe you find out with kind of mobo he has and compare it to yours?

also, just about any card can run any game, just depends on how much eye candy you want.

ive never ever heard of that card. ive heard of the 9000 series and those are old. then there are the X300-X800 series and now the new X1000 series.

if its older than the 9200 than 40 is WAY too much. ive seen some 9700 for like 50 bucks new and those arent half bad if you dont mind now having all the best stuff.

maybe you can go to ebay and find a good 9800pro for 50 bucks? i know new is around 100 and those cards were the shit just 2 yrs ago.

something like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-RADEON-9800Pro-AGP...1QQcmdZViewItem.

also, i have cpu-z and it tells me what kind of mobo and graphics interface i have. maybe it might work for you.

8. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

well the douche says he needs to do research then he'll tell me a concrete price, even tho he said "definately like 50 bucks", and now he tells me it was a 200 dollar one a year ago.. so im gonna say fuck him and his gay card. im not gonna spend like 100 bucks on a used card that i dont know what im getting, plus all i want is one game haha. but it says recommended 512 ram for the game... i have 384 on my comp, does that mean i only need a 128 ram card or should i get 512 or a 256? sure a 512 would be best, but if its not exacly something i NEED than im not gonna get it.. im no gamer, obviously, and i just dont want choppy graphics :mrgreen:

something like this maybe.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-FX-5500-DDR-FX5...oQQcmdZViewItem

9. endlesszeal

haha the ram they are talking about is probably different than what youre think.

128mb for the graphics card is plenty. 256mb is usually for the higher end cards and they are just coming out with 512mb cards.

as for RAM on the motherboard, you want 512mb at least. its stinking cheap. around 35-40 bucks. 1gb is ideal and that can be had for 80 dollars.

and those old nvidia cards suck ass, especially the FX series. i would go with the ati over that.

10. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

yeah dude, you're thinking system memory. Just get a 512 and throw it in, they're dirt cheap.

11. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Yank the heat sink and look at the chip surface- there should be some GPU core information on it that will tell you what the card is. Use that information plus the amount of RAM on the card to see what it is. There's usually a small BIOS chip on the card with firmware on it that has a small label on top telling you the firmware revision number- that label can be quite useful for finding the card model too.

12. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

cool, im gonna go to his house sometime this weekend and look at it, cuz the kid is a retard when it comes to computers, he has lots of money, loves games, but no brains....at all. (this kid had to ask and have me show him how to write a check....... last november, oh and he doesnt know the order of the months...or their numbers hahhaha)

13. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

oh my god.

talk about someone who can't function in society.

It should say in device manager what kind of card it is.

14. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

K, when i go to his house tomarrow night ill check it out.

i wont get into him, i could start a thread and have you all flame... but no lol.

ok ok ok, ill say one more thing with a little background. Hes from the rich town of WInchester Mass, bout 10 min north of boston. All the gas stations are full service.... sooooo when he brought his car up here for the first time and went to get gas, he asked me to go. I said sure. So we got to the pump and he said, "You want to pump the gas, i dont know how." i bursted out laughing, i almost cried. He is a great kid though, real funny, but doesnt know his ass from his head. Gotta love rich kids with a bottomless bank account (it has a steady balance of 7k at ALL times, not just once a month... everyday.

ok no more :mrgreen:

15. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

7k is hardly a rich kid.....

16. endlesszeal

if he gets that everyday i would say fuck yeah. i dont even make 100 a day. given that i dont work yet haha.

17. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

for a college kid with no job, one class two nights a week?? he'll spend 100's then the next day he'll check his balance and its always at a constant state of like 7-8 grand. he can just spend spend spend, and moeny will be in his acct like two days later, literally.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted