Need a new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sorry, that was a little confusing. So you're an independent rep (so you can recommend and sell whatever you want) who also has a contract with Northwestern that allows you to sell their products? Or you're contracted exclusively with Northwestern? Just trying to clarify.

And actually, I'm sorry, I thought you were the OP responding. I didn't even realize you were someone else throwing their 2 cents in.

And I'm only 24, recent college graduate, no kids or wife, so no, I'm not really in a position where a solid paycheck every month is essential. And I totally see your point, that the potential to make good money is there. I'm just pointing out that you yourself stated that only 5% of people who start out in jobs like that actually make a career of it, and I'm guessing that's a pretty accurate number, I looked into it a lot when I was offered several positions like this.

Like I said above, with a 95% turnover rate that means for every one guy who hits it big 19 other guys are failing and quitting. To me, the odds are just kinda iffy on that. And also, like I mentioned before, the cost of completely providing your own insurance and driving yourself all over the place to meet clients is going to eat into your income, so it's not quite the same thing as making $120,000 per year at a salaried job with good benefits.

I'm contracted to sell Northwestern products as a primary means, if we don't have a product that satisfies a buyer's needs, I can then go and contact one of the other insurance firms and sell their policy to a client. We're the only company that does not allow other reps to sell our products.

Also the difference is at 24 and even 5 years down the line, its highly unlikely that you walk into a job thats $120k a year with benis and even then it doesn't guarantee that you won't have to travel in your own vehicle.

Cars are just objects and running through a bunch isn't a big deal when you're making good money. Buy a commuter car and an enjoyment car.

And its no surprise that the OP liked the M3. If you have a chance, check out the s4 and caddy cts-v (the one with either the ls2 or ls6 vette engine, it out ran the s4 in comparison tests but doesn't have the same solid german engineered feeling). Also if you're concerned about the thoughts of blue collared workers, buying an American car wouldn't be a bad idea.

has anyone here driven a masdaspeed 6? theres one for $20,000 at the dealer by me im thinking about dropping in to see and take for a spin...

looking at the spec's it seems slow for the awd and 280hp/280tq 6.1 0-60 and 14.3 quarter? thats beat unless the drivers used for the test suck

Its a surprisingly heavy car, but it is a very well rounded car and due to its lack of demand, its prices are dropping pretty heavily.

yeah that worries me, I dont want to pay 20k for a car that will be worth 10 in 3 years...

Im going to drive it this evening as the rx7 is getting a new clutch today (suprise suprise, i wonder what else hasn't been maintained... i probably wont even see it before I make a decision)

the speed 6 beat the leagacy spec B in a car and drive test about a year ago.

Also the difference is at 24 and even 5 years down the line, its highly unlikely that you walk into a job thats $120k a year with benis and even then it doesn't guarantee that you won't have to travel in your own vehicle.

Well yeah, obviously you're not gonna start out making that much at any entry level business job, that's completely unrealistic. I'm just saying that if you're going to compare someone who's making $120,000 a year at a salaried job with benefits to someone who's making $120,000 a year at a contracted sales job it's not exactly the same, since the contractor is going to be paying for their own insurance, medical bills, and probably lots of gas and dinners with clients.

And yeah, you may be traveling in your own vehicle occasionally or even frequently, but I'm just not crazy about a job that's completely dependent on that, because it eats into your earnings.

And commission/residuals isn't the only way to make decent money either. I mean there's management paths, HR, accounting, finance, get your master's, doctorate, certifications, whatever. You don't necessarily have to be in sales to make a decent living. Not everyone's blessed with the powers of persuasion, nor does everyone want to make a career out of sales. Although if you're good at it, then you might as well. Like I said, I'm not trying to argue, just making conversation.

Cars are just objects and running through a bunch isn't a big deal when you're making good money. Buy a commuter car and an enjoyment car.

That's true, you can always have a beater for work and a toy for the weekends. Good point there.

has anyone here driven a masdaspeed 6? theres one for $20,000 at the dealer by me im thinking about dropping in to see and take for a spin...

looking at the spec's it seems slow for the awd and 280hp/280tq 6.1 0-60 and 14.3 quarter? thats beat unless the drivers used for the test suck

Mazda's AWD is terrible. Its predominately FWD and only sends power to the rear when it needs it.

If you're going to buy a car based on a drivetrain layout, then make sure you understand what you're getting.

The Mazdaspeed 3 outhandles the WRX despite the fact that its FWD.

And commission/residuals isn't the only way to make decent money either. I mean there's management paths, HR, accounting, finance, get your master's, doctorate, certifications, whatever. You don't necessarily have to be in sales to make a decent living. Not everyone's blessed with the powers of persuasion, nor does everyone want to make a career out of sales. Although if you're good at it, then you might as well. Like I said, I'm not trying to argue, just making conversation.

I think you missed what I was trying to say; of course you can make money in salaried positions and of course if you have beni's and a company car, you'll have less expenses but even in salaried jobs you may not always have these luxuries - most don't. Additionally, my real point is that at 24 its going to take you quite a bit of time, or good fortune, or having the right connections to make it into a salaried job that even in 5-10years puts you at $120k.

Don't get me wrong, you can't walk into a finance job and expect to make $100,000 plus first year - it happens but its a rarity. Also, its not for everyone. In fact, I'm finishing up my job because it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do in the sales field. I'm simply saying that when you're young and don't have many responsibilities, you may want to look into a position.

i am in the midst of switching to all commission and I get full benefits (retirement/profit sharing/full medical paid/etc etc) my expenses are paid, gas paid, and the more business i write the more I will get for a car allowance (they used to do a company car but this is easier)
/threadjack

drove the 6, i know it is essentialy a speed3 with the bolt on piece on the tranny to send some power to the back and it shows when you drive it. It was a "fun" sort of car, fell on its face the last 1k rpm but pulled decent. All 4 wheels hooked when i tried a little "launch" ;) for $19k OTD with 6 year 75k warranty cant really beat the performance for the price aspect. But I dont know how well it will hold its value, where as the M... well its an M

like the m better going back to see it again saturday morning, most likely going to put a dp/buy it

still havent driven the 7, i really think there is a slim to none chance id buy it, but either way ill probably just take it for a spin tommorrow or monday for the hell of it

put the deposit on the ///M... delivery for thursday... more pics to follow over in the auto/multimedia forum :cool:

m3.jpg

:drool:

Can't wait until I get my M3 one day...

- I wasnt sure about the color combo either until I saw it in person... the interior is in better condition than my friends 05 3 series leather... love it

- as far as snow/snow beater, id love to pick up a $1k jeep cherokee or something, but i dont really need it. All of my family owns 4 wheel drive jeeps/trucks so I can always borrow if need be. As for my job, if it there is still snow on the road, I work from home :). I do live on a mnt where it snows a lot, but that also means roads are cleared very quickly because its not like "oh noes, it snowed 1 inch, what do we do???????". the worst part about snow is my driveway. BFD, id rather drive an M and walk the drive way 5 times a year than drive a truck/suv everyday! am i right or am i right???? lol

i cant stand driving my dads pickup everyday... thursday cannot come soon enough

drive a truck/suv everyday! am i right or am i right???? lol

Whats wrong with daily driving a truck? Is it too big for you?

Nice car, from the pics I hate the tan but it probably looks better in person.

Driving the m3 in the snow aren't you worried about ground clearance or salt ruining it?

driving trucks sucks. i know exactly what he's talking about.

and yes, i own a truck. lol

I have owned 4 cars, 1 SUV, and 5 trucks. Nothing wrong with dding a truck. Although I do miss my old crx I don't mind dding the truck except for the 70plus dollar fillups.

nothing wrong with trucks, my dad has always driven one so they have always been around... but when im driving as much as I do, i prefer something thats "fun" to drive... and yes $70 dollar fill ups with 13 mpg max sucks my nuts... If im going to get 9-13 mpg i expect to be driving something thats worth the fill up (viper?? lol)... trucks get the job done but thats about it

im sure someday i'll "mature" a lil more and want something a bit more practical... thats why they make audi rs4's and the M5 :)

I wont drive the m with snow on the road, unless Im out somewhere and it starts to snow and I need to get back...I can always borrow a car or just stay home... as for salt I will just wash it , alot , theres a great heated "manual car wash" that i go to all the time right down the road from my work

Last edited:
theres a mag that just released an article about this model m.
tells about the usual problems they have. and how to fix them.
such as the compartment that the ecu is in, floods in heavy rain or carwash, says to add another drain in the bottom.
i cant remember the name of the mag, but when i see it again i will post it.
it also has a nice article going into the lambo assembly plant.

Back