1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new clutch soon...

Discussion in 'RSX' started by FLounder, Feb 20, 2014.

1. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

[​IMG]

So this is the wife's 03 RSX base 5 speed... it needs a new clutch soon. For all we know it could be the original one, and the car has about 120k miles. Im looking for some advice about a few aspects of getting a new clutch in there.

Last time I changed a clutch in a FWD it was a b series about 11 or 12 years ago, and it was a major PITA. Although, Im much more of a mechanic these days. How difficult is it in the RSX, worth doing myself??

Also, im just looking for a stock replacement clutch, was leaning towards Exedy, they are cheap and known to be good. Any opinions here?

And for the flywheel... i have never had one resurfaced before, always just bought a new lighter one in the past (and all but that one time paid other people to install). Is resurfacing the flywheel always necessary or could i just slap a new clutch in there if its looking good?

2. FLounder

This car will likely be for sale soon, by the way.

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i was under the impression exedy/daikin are OEM replacement.

i've always had great luck going over the flywheel with a die grinder wheel, or something like 100 grit sandpaper and then cleaning the friction surface with gas or rubbing alcohol.

4. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

you'll at least want the FW re-surfaced... think of it like a rotor, its going to be 'fitted' to the out going clutch.

exedy are usually considered like stage .5. a bit more than stock, but basically stock.

5. FLounder

Thanks for the advice guys, if the flywheel looks really nice ill do what Turbo said, and if in doubt, will get it resurfaced. Now, do i really want to do the job myself? need to call and see how much places charge around here.

6. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

FWIW the first clutch change in the mirage lasted about 100k miles. the second, about 75k miles (swapped engine, then rear main seal failure) .

that car had ~365k on it.

7. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

When I did my D15b swap it didn't occur to me to resurface the FW, dear god it chatters like a motherfucker.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted