need a new hard drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
my computer has been extremely slow lately and its virus free.. so that leaves me to believe the hard drive is failing .. i need a Ultra ATA Hard Drive 3.5" from what i've read online.. just not sure which brand/company is good to go with or where to find a good deal on one.. its a Dell Dim. 3000

my fan has also been very loud, would i need to replace this too?

run some tests, upgrade your BIOS most of the new ones few the past few years have a HDD checker, if not, get the auslogics demo and check your physical drive.

have you tried to blow the dust and etc out of your machine?

I agree do some testing before hand. I have honestly never had a hard drive puke on me that was in a completely stock system. Crack the case and blow the hell out of it with compressed or canned air. Be sure you pin the fans in place though so they dont free spin. I know thats OG advice but I always encourage folks to do it just in case its an old fan and such.

run some tests, upgrade your BIOS most of the new ones few the past few years have a HDD checker, if not, get the auslogics demo and check your physical drive.

have you tried to blow the dust and etc out of your machine?

run what test?
how do i upgrade my BIOS?
is the Auslogics demo something i download?

yes.. i've cleaned out the tower.. not a deep clean, but most of it

drives generally don't slow down when they are on their way out--- they get noisy. lots of clicking and clacking and grinding.

run a check disk on it.

(go to my comp and right click on c: and chose properties, then on the tools tab you should see a check disk or error checking button to run.

i need to update to SP3 to run the disk checker.. doing so now

ok.. so updated to sp3, comp still sucks.. scanned w/ Auslogic Boostspeed.. it fixed everything except the Registry errors... said there was 84 errors.. wanted me to buy the whole program to fix it .. no change in comp performance

i literally just reformatted the comp less than 2 weeks ago..

:doh:

Well, you can get a brand new decently fast hard drive for about $50 these days. I know you said you needed IDE, but it might be worth your time to get a cheapo SATA controller to go with a larger/faster SATA hard drive for the same or less overall cash.

if youre looking for speed, the best drives are from WD.

-Caviar black = speed
-Caviar green = silent
-Caviar blue = between black and green.

Samsung F1/F3 are pretty good too.

I own quite a few of both- all are running well. The Hitachi Desktars are also good- they bought out IBM's storage division a few years back.

Funny thing is that the WD 640GB drives I bought when they were considered the top speed grade have now been relabeled as the "Blue" line. The Black line just has more cache.

Look at the links I posted to Newegg- most of those are Caviar Blue drives, and the 800GB is a Green.

Back