Need a new processor

Which is better for gaming(socket A, 166Mhz)

• Athlon XP 30

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Apr 23 2005, 06:28 AM
I really cannot recommend the ASUS K8V-X motherboard, the AMD 64 754 3000+, and a SATA hard drive enough. Bang for the buck it is a great set up.
If you want a new system, and are looking to spend a little more, get an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe, an Antec NeoPower 480 Power Supply (24pin), ATI X800, and an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. I have a very similar set up to this and love it. This board is one of the first PC boards to impress me, it is still missing Firewire 800, and built in bluetooth. However, I am still happy with the speed of the set up.
[post=490421]Quoted post[/post]​

The first set up would be good, I'd get a good 3D card with it, one that even seemed out of place in that set up.

Or the second set up, almost what I have. The Asus MoBo has great onboard utilities.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 23 2005, 03:48 AM

Or the second set up, almost what I have. The Asus MoBo has great onboard utilities.
[post=490475]Quoted post[/post]​

It really does, the K8V-E Deluxe has some great utilities, as well as built in 802.11G wireless, firewire ports, a butt load of USB 2.0 ports, and optical audio out. The only thing that it is missing is blue tooth, which I solved on my set up with a microsoft blue tooth adapter and mouse.

Do you really need wireless on a desktop system? You're losing almost half of your speed just to nix a single wire. I'd take speed over wireless connection any day.

I would love to have wireless. My computer has to be somewhere, I don't want it because of the wires. Though, it doesn't bother me, it would just be nice.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Apr 25 2005, 08:23 AM
Do you really need wireless on a desktop system? You're losing almost half of your speed just to nix a single wire. I'd take speed over wireless connection any day.
[post=491171]Quoted post[/post]​

For some people it really helps out, especially those who live in apartments and do not want exposed wires running all over the place. Also now that wireless is reaching speeds of 108Mbps, it is becoming more and more practical. I have both a wired and wireless network in my house, the gaming machines are wired, and the laptop and movie server are wireless. I when I switch my setup to gigabit, then my movie server will be swapped out to wired.
At a lot of businesses that I set up, wireless is key for them, so they do not have to renovate just to network their setups. Yes if you are dealing with high end graphics, video, or large file formats in general wired setups are the best. However, surfing the web, and sending e-mail can be handled just fine with wireless set ups.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer+Apr 27 2005, 12:18 AM-->
@Apr 25 2005, 08:23 AM
[post=491171]Quoted post[/post]​

For some people it really helps out, especially those who live in apartments and do not want exposed wires running all over the place. Also now that wireless is reaching speeds of 108Mbps, it is becoming more and more practical. I have both a wired and wireless network in my house, the gaming machines are wired, and the laptop and movie server are wireless. I when I switch my setup to gigabit, then my movie server will be swapped out to wired.
At a lot of businesses that I set up, wireless is key for them, so they do not have to renovate just to network their setups. Yes if you are dealing with high end graphics, video, or large file formats in general wired setups are the best. However, surfing the web, and sending e-mail can be handled just fine with wireless set ups.
[post=491863]Quoted post[/post]​

I only run wireless for the laptops because it's just practical that way. I can deal with the wires running around. Granted almost all of my network is 10Mbit (I get the hardware cheap) and that for me wireless is the faster option, but I just can't see running all wireless. Makes it easier to use Airsnort and ethreal to see what's going on, ya know?

Ok i searched around on the TigerDirect and NewEgg's website, and was wondering how does the Chaintech and MSI mobo's fair? i noticed the Chaintech uses ULi chipsets, how does this compare to the VIA chipsets? The Asus looks good, but there's some stuff i dont really need like the WIFI and AC97 audio. Also, is PCI-E worth it? if it is, i was thinking of getting a mobo that has a built-in video but allow me to upgrade to a PCI-E graphics card later.

Back