Need A New System

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
Everything except for my sub works great. Looking to spend $500 tops between sub and amp.

I want a 10" DVC sub that has some good sound and kick.

I'm looking into the 10" Alpine Type R subs, they make them in 2 ohm and 4 ohm. The 4 ohm is like $10 more, but whats better?

Then the amp. It says 600W RMS and 1800W peak. I can get a cheap Pioneer mono amp which is 400W RMS and 800W peak, is that ok?

Then Matt and I would build a box due to great sucess from the last one we made. :)

Anyway...opinions please.

JL Audio 10W1 (in a ported 1.25 cu in box) and a decent amp that puts out 100-125 clean watts at 4-ohm bridged. Its cheap and will lay it down much more then any Alpine sub.....for sure!

Oh yeah...I have this puppy. :D

PioneerSub.jpg

PioneerSub2.jpg

PioneerSub3.jpg

Actually, I'm really impressed with Matts Massive DVC 12" so maybe a 12" Type R....I wanna hit low and be loud for high school next year. :D

JL Audio.....for sure! I was a huge stereo guy in high school. I've owned Kicker's, MTX, and JL Audios. Those W3's you seen for sale need too much clean (and expensive) wattage (minimum 250 watts but I would suggest 400). I say no to a used amp and I say no on Alpine amps in general lol.

You can get a 10in JL W1 for around $90-110. About $50 to build/carpet your box. After tax, that leaves you around $300+ for an amp. You can get a quality 4 channel that will pump 150 watts to a sub and have two front channels to run mids/highs. They almost all come with built in crossovers.....run some 4 gauge and good rca's to it and you'll be bumping pretty nice with one sub in a Honda. People use to sit in my EH3 and think my JL 10W1 was at least 2-10's or 2-12's lol. I promise impressive results for your $500 budget.

P.S. that Pioneer Subwoofer is OLD. Brough back memories. I built a few boxes for those but one set was a free-air pair....sounded like crap if you ask me.

Lol @ a JL audio W1 being better than an Alpine Type-R.

But any way dude, I have always used Alpine Speakers/subs/head-units. I have always had good experiance with them. If your looking for good quality amps for a good price look at kenwood. Im sure you already know this but a 12" DVC woofer will always hit (reach) lows better than a 10" DVC woofer. I had two 12" Alpine Type-R in a basic non-ported box, and it was rediculously loud. They were powered by their own 1900w MAX kenwood amp. It was cool for a year or two (when i got them in high school haha) but i got rid of one and kept just one sub and amp. I tuned the amp so it will still hit the lows, but not be as loud. I've had the type-r's since 2003. And have never had any problems with them or the amps. I had a single 10" Alpine Type-S with an Alpine mono amp (wasn;t to impressed with the amp) before i upgraded to the 2 Type-R subs.

The best place to buy any audio equipment is woofersetc.com. They have really good prices.

Last edited:
Lol @ a JL audio W1 being better than an Alpine Type-R.

But any way dude, I have always used Alpine Speakers/subs/head-units. I have always had good experiance with them. If your looking for good quality amps for a good price look at kenwood. Im sure you already know this but a 12" DVC woofer will always hit (reach) lows better than a 10" DVC woofer. I had two 12" Alpine Type-R in a basic non-ported box, and it was rediculously loud. They were powered by their own 1900w MAX kenwood amp. It was cool for a year or two (when i got them in high school haha) but i got rid of one and kept just one sub and amp. I tuned the amp so it will still hit the lows, but not be as loud. I've had the type-r's since 2003. And have never had any problems with them or the amps. I had a single 10" Alpine Type-S with an Alpine mono amp (wasn;t to impressed with the amp) before i upgraded to the 2 Type-R subs.

The best place to buy any audio equipment is woofersetc.com. They have really good prices.

An Alpine Type R needs more wattage than a 10W1. My whole theory was based on his price limit of $500 and the Alpine Type R would need a pretty expensive amp.

Kenwood amps aren't that great either. They work....duh....but they are not my preference

12" will hit more lows (in general....not just JL) but it also isn't as "snappy" in terms of fast response (in comparison to a 10"....or especially an 8" sub). But 12's will lay it down for hip-hop....just not as responsive for faster bass lines (like hard rock/alternative/etc)

I love all of JL's subs (well...not the biggest fan of their "stealth" boxes) Their W7 will eff up any stupid Alpine sub.....period. But they are expensive and need tons of clean wattage to make them live to their potential. Plus JL recommends 1" MDF which is pretty heavy. JL 12W1 (or any 12 for that matter) needs 3/4" MDF. You can rock a JL 10W1 with 1/2" MDF....which is lighter and cheaper. But if you really want to lay it down.....a 10" JL W7 with 350-500 watts will blow people away when they see only one sub. It will tear up any 12" Alpine sub....for sure! I mean Alpine? The other guy must like the stereo shop in his town where they push Alpine...and Kenwood....gimme a break!

Amps? Sadly....many Amps that were great when I was in high school suck now. Rockford and Hifonics used to be awesome but have been told by professionals that they are inferior products now. I have a old school PPI 2-channel that is putting out 300 watts to my whole system (no more sub for me....too much weight baby!). Its well over 10yrs old and still rocks!

I found a good one....yes JL Audio lol But you may find it cheaper elsewhere. It shoudl rock a 10" or 12" JL W1 and your mids/highs (as long as you don't care about fading front to back or have only front speakers)

JL Audio 300/4v2 Amp: Multi-Channel - Car Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com

An Alpine Type R needs more wattage than a 10W1. My whole theory was based on his price limit of $500 and the Alpine Type R would need a pretty expensive amp.

Kenwood amps aren't that great either. They work....duh....but they are not my preference

Ah cool i understand what you mean now. And yea Kenwood isn't GREAT, but its damn good for their price.

12" will hit more lows (in general....not just JL) but it also isn't as "snappy" in terms of fast response (in comparison to a 10"....or especially an 8" sub). But 12's will lay it down for hip-hop....just not as responsive for faster bass lines (like hard rock/alternative/etc)

I manly listen to rock and my Type-R's did it flawlessly. Rap song hit too loud for me sometimes. I had a "bass controller" right up front near me so i could turn down the bass for rap. It could also be controlled through the Head unit, but it was quicker the other way.

But if you really want to lay it down.....a 10" JL W7 with 350-500 watts will blow people away when they see only one sub. It will tear up any 12" Alpine sub....for sure! I mean Alpine? The other guy must like the stereo shop in his town where they push Alpine...and Kenwood....gimme a break!

lol no not at all. I've bought all my stereo equipment online, and found out what works through trial and error.

Get the most chromed out Audiobahn 15" you can find (about $200) and a 1000w Kenford amp from the quarterly car audio "show" in your area. Best combo you can buy for the money.

alEXej8.....Your box is a sealed enclosure....perfect for rock

While a ported box is for more of the long stretched out bass lines (Hip-Hop)

Haven't looked at Kenwood amps in a while so I jumped on their site. They still rate their stuff pretty bad. The rate at 1.0% Distortion where higher quality amp companies are sometimes rated at half that. Less distortion means cleaner sound and same volume. They also rate at 14.4v which is an optimal running car with a nice big alternator/battery (in which out Hondas are at a loss lol) And the big numbers of wattage on the actual amp case expresses its power is at low ohm loads (not the 'normal' 4ohm rating). Those amps (and almost all others on the market) can't hold a low ohm load for too long (some of their amps say they're stable at 1ohm....lol). Its like driving down the highway in a yugo doing 70mph in 3rd...it just wont last like that. Especially at those prices (and you are right....they're cheaper than I thought...extra cheap yo....lol)

JL amps rate low and voltage fluctuation doesn't hurt then nearly as bad as many amps on the market. I think it can't be a good or bad thing (depending on one's needs) but it not too bad of a scenario for small battery Hondas

A big system for that price range hard to do but nobody has said anything about Digital Designs, or Sundown audio i work in the audio industry and youtube either one of those companys u will be impressed.

Back