Need a woodworking/wedding present idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
When my older sister got married, I built her and my brother in law a cornhole set. Custom painted them and everything. This was just a gift out of the kindness of my heart, as I got them a wedding gift too.

Well now my younger sister is getting married and I need an idea. There are enough cornhole/yard game sets in my family at this point, so I have no clue. I was thinking maybe Adirondack chairs but I don't think they will really enjoy them. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure on your skill but a nice homemade frame, with like dove tail joints or maybe a mini bar?

i can tell you what we got as a wedding gift that was really nice. It's a simple box. it has 3 sliders that slide open. In each slot is a bottle of wine for a 1 year, 3 year and 5 year anniversary. It had all sorts of engravings on it.

You obviously need to find the right wines that will age right but i thought it was one of the best gifts we got. Besides the shit load of cash :)

It was actually this box right here

21505_zoom2.jpg

what about some kind of a chest? someone gave my suster one they made for her wedding, i thought it was kinda cool

What is their home situation? Well furnished house? They have to sit on the floor when guests are there? Apartment with no space? The chest idea seems neat, though I like chests, I could be biased. Like a nice cedar foot locker.

They have a bungalow that had a 2nd story put on it. Extremely well furnished. The previous owner was moving to her winter home in Florida. At closing, she asked my sister and her fiance if they wanted the furniture since her other place was already set. It's all really nice Italian that they got for exactly zero. Every room but the Master bedroom. Besides, I'm not sure I have the tool/skill set to make a real piece of furniture.

Corvette- I love that box idea. They aren't big drinkers though. And when my sister does drink, it's all organic wines or JD. Yes, weird choices. I'm sure I could figure out something else with that concept though.

So I'm just updating this to show what I finally decided on and maybe get a little feedback.

Twin Lock Box

It's a puzzle box. I'm actually going to combined it with Corvette's idea with 2 or 3 compartments. I think it just adds even a little more to the gift. Of course, the wedding is a week from Sunday, so now I have to hustle.

Pics of younger sister?

Really nice drill bit set? Old Yankee workshop on DVD?

This just reminds me of the coffins the English guy makes in Gone in Sixty Seconds.

I feel like you could have written your post with a scotch in your hand and that guy's accent.

Back