1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice From Experienced People (suspention)

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by Capt. Orygun, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

[​IMG]

Well the time has come to start thinking about puting this stuff on my car. The parts (koni adjustable shocks, skunk2 springs, and DCsport rear upper tie) should compliment my new tire/wheel package well enough, problem is I don't know what I'm doing!!!! It's looks simple enough but we have a saving in aircraft maintenance (that's what you get for thinking). Anyone with some knowledge or tricks of the trade on the subject would be helpfull.

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

3. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

only special tool you need is a spring compressor, otherwise just look up any ol generic shock/spring isntallation guide

4. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

ok i may sound stupid, and i know this isnt my post but why is a spring compressor needed? and i wont ask what it does cause thats self explainatory, i just dont see why you cant take the old springs off and put the new ones on. someone explain this to me

5. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Make sure you have a back up ride just incase something goes wrong. Use alot of PB buster? (rust remover) on the LCA bolts. The LCA bolts are a bitch to get off. On my car, we had to cut one.

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

cuz you have to put your new spirngs on your new shocks.

its possible to do without it, using the car and a jack- but you can die. lol

7. solblu

solblu Senior Member

OK depending on the drop of the springs you may not need a spring compressor. With Eibach sportlines I don't need a spring compressor to put the springs on the struts, or do anything special. They are short enough to just put on. Now you don't want to get to that part of your install and find out you do need a spring compressor, so it would be best to get one. Most part stores will let you "rent" a set of spring compressors for a small fee or a deposit to make sure they get it back.

8. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

Silverchild, you're an A&P tech??? :worthy: i love anything that has to do with aviation :thumbsup: sorry, i dont know anything about the installs but i do have eibach sportlines, and i love em!

9. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

nope sorry just I'm working on my craftsmanship in hydraulis for the AF, not as much money, but cooler planes.....

10. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

you don't NEED a srping compressor. its pretty scarry when the spring pops off after you take off the bolt holding the shock on*on top of the strut tower*

11. ForceFedSol

ForceFedSol Banned

:angry:

if you cant get this simple task of " suspension " taken care of, i would just give up tuning all together. Its just not for you!

RESPECT!

12. Baker

Baker Senior Member

I've ever used a spring compressor and never had any problems. We probably drop 3 cars a week when its warm out

13. 90 accord

hence why i said you don't need one, but i would use one if i had the money for one. *or was willing to spend it for that matter*

14. Baker

Baker Senior Member

my problem with them is if you don't have a nice one you're just better off not using it. Those ones you can rent at auto zone suck balls.

15. red95solsi

red95solsi Senior Member

you could always do it the way my friend did it ad line the shock up where it wont hitanything when it shoots and slowly undo the bolt while standing on the spring with a board and just let it shoot like 10-20 feet down the road it is easier to get the new springs on since they are shorter but takng them off is why you need the spring compressor

16. steelbuster

steelbuster Senior Member

"you could always do it the way my friend did it. line the shock up where it wont hitanything when it shoots and slowly undo the bolt while standing on the spring with a board and just let it shoot like 10-20 feet down the road "

Thanks man...I was sittin' here this morning feeling old and blue.......now I'm smiling and feeling young again.. :D

17. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

lmmfao, thnx man I'll give it a whril...

18. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

I really hope that too many people don't try this. With the tension the springs are under it could cause a lot of damage, or even kill someone if it bounces off of something.

19. 90 accord

just raise the car up barely enough to get the wheels off. then the springs don't have enough room to bounce off anything. then just go straight down and hit the ground.

20. hypo honda

hypo honda hyped honda

hey dude you should not have to even take the coils off the struts if you have new coils and adjustable struts just build them out of the car and install the whole strut/coil unit. It is so easy you will laugh when it is done

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted