need advice on adding turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crowofthedead

Hi, im looking to purchase a 91 crx si d16a6 that has a turbo, and the guy has a front mount intercooler and all of the necessary hardware for the turbo except the appropiate ecu, now as far as I know the ecu is stock, so I was wondering what I had to do to get the ecu to accept those additonal parts.

some people say "chip" it. If I chip it can I get it tuned? or do I need some kind of aftermarket ecu package like from turbo xs or some utec.

Ive done alot of searching and I don't know whats the best route to take cause iv'e never done this kind of stuff.

any advice is greatly appreciated. thank you

Last edited:
Hi, im looking to purchase a 91 crx si d16a6 that has a turbo, and the guy has a front mount intercooler and all of the necessary hardware for the turbo except the appropiate ecu, now as far as I know the ecu is stock, so I was wondering what I had to do to get the ecu to accept those additonal parts.

some people say "chip" it. If I chip it can I get it tuned? or do I need some kind of aftermarket ecu package like from turbo xs or some utec.

Ive done alot of searching and I don't know whats the best route to take cause iv'e never done this kind of stuff.

any advice is greatly appreciated. thank you
Your ECU doesn't really "know" there is a turbo there. it just gets fucked up vacuum and O2 readings, and tries to compensate. It usually can't.

"Chip it" is a term where you replace the ECU with something else, or you take an ECU and re-flash the chip for it's new information. If you have it re-flashed, they will take your factory fuel mapping and replace it with something that works for the turbo (But usually doesn't work too well for calm, easy driving). If you get a piggy back ECU you have the opportunity to switch back and forth. If you get chrome or hondata then you will need the brains to be able to do tuning yourself (But you'll have the control that you want)

Cheap, Easy, Flexible. Pick two.

Back