need advice on boosting my mini me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stillpushin08

Ok. So I have a d16a6 block, a d15b non vtec head, and dpfi. My plan is to swap on a z6 head and boost it. Im getting the full mini me head swap in a trade for an old amp. Idk if its obd 1 or not but its the complete head, intake mani, wiring harness, injectors, dizzy, the whole swap. I can also get a turbo setup for a d-series from a friend for $350. Its internal wastegate and is set at 12psi. I figured this would be way too high for a mini me and since I have to get new pistons anyway i thought about getting vitara low compression pistons to compensate for the boost. Ive heard that d series rods are weak so im considering forged rods. I wanna do this right the first time instead of breaking something and then havin to tear it apart again. So basically what I need to know is am I gonna be pissing away money or am I on the right route. This is going in a 89 crx btw, with a dx trans. Ive already gotten new main and rod bearings, thrust washers, and a full gasket set for the a6. So ive already invested like $250 in it. I know that no good turbo setup is cheap but I dont want to throw away money either. Thanks in advance for any help!

ok so a6 rods are the strongest out of all the dseries rods....they arent necessarily weak its just that they can only hold up to 200hp..anything more you are at high risk of failure and 230 its guaranteed to blow...
so with that said...the z6 is obd1 so you are open to a bigger variety of tuning...

also you do know that the d16a6 is mpfi right?? but the dx is dpfi
and you will need the topend gaskets for a z6..also timing belt for z6
we need to know-
1. what is your power goal
2. what is your budget
3.what trim is the turbo

ok. I wasnt very clear earlier. sry bout that. ill give you a rundown on the car. I gave $500 for the car. Its a 89 crx dx, dx trans, a6 block, d15b head with Dpfi (idk y they did that its seems degrading), pg6 crank, pg6 rods, pg6 pistons. So it stared burning coolant so i pulled the head to look at the head gasket and found three pg6 pistons and one pm3 that was in backwards. The crank needs to be turned and thatll cost like $96 so im thinkin another crank might be cheaper. Im planning to use this as a street car but with some "pep" if you catch my drift. Something I can drive on the street and take to the strip to play on the weekends. So i was thinkin 200ish. As far as my budget, im a high shcool student workin at pizza inn. And although all i do is work and go to school ill have to build this up over a little time. I just dont want to spend money on unnecessary things. I have no clue what the trim of the turbo is. I asked if it was a t3 cause i thought that would be good for my car and he just said it was greddy, it pushed 12psi, and it was on his old d series crx. So he may not even know what the trim is. But if i get that from him and its too big i can just sell it and get a different turbo. That way ill still have all the other stuff. But from what I understand if I was to put something like that on id have traction in the lower rpms and once boost kicked in id be gone. Thank for the help. please keep it comin!

ok well basically if i was you id get a new motor..you dont know what could have been done to it/how it was built if they used 2 differant pistons and didnt even put them in correctly...
your atleast going to have to tear down the entire assembly nd give it a rebuild...
as far as the turbo goes...greddy is a good turbo but if the owner doesnt know anything about it then you might run into trouble...if i was you id look around a little bit for another turbo..
from what you say you want power in the topend soo..get a big turbo..
and your stock rods will hold up to 200hp..but you have to have an awesome tune...
this project is gonna take some money and time but if done right will turno out great..
always remember..time and effort will be better in the long run..ive learned that after my first "build"

take your time and do alot of research before you commit to anything

i appreciate your help. and i plan to do a rebuild instead of just getting another engine. I already have all the bearings for the bottom end, and a full gasket set. Mainly, i need to know what CR i need to be shooting for. Ive seen alot of people go for 8.5:1 but ive also seen others go for 9:1. Ive used the compression calculator and have figured out that with the vitara pistons and the z6 head ill be around 8.5:1.

Back