need advice on what to swap into EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Joshmmc

So I bought my first car a while ago, It's a 1991 Honda Civic Si, mods done were coilovers, and tires, as well as a short throw shifter. The motor in it was a blown ZC, with ZC tranny, so the tranny is still ok, so I think im good as far as the transmission goes, but I need to look at new motors to put in. Ive done loads and loads of research, but cant decide.I;ve sat on the car for way too long, and now im a month from my birthday, where I will take my learners test, so I'd like to have it running as soon as possible, so i figure its time to ask for some help, and see if i can get a motor in there. the apparent best option out, is a K series, but that is rediculously out of the price range, then next is B series, but the mounts make that too much money and work as well, especially for my first car, which I would just like to keep simple, naturally aspirated, but quick enough to enjoy, so ive narrowed it down to the motors that will drop in. ive looked at putting in a super common D16 and ive looked at another ZC which would work nice because thats what the previous motor was, so it would save me loads of work, and a ZC is a pretty cool motor, alot of bang for the buck, but ive learned that there isnt alot of market support for the ZC, which will make it difficult for me to do the mods I plan to do later on, basically just intake, intake manifold, headers, downpipe, exhaust system, piggyback ECU , ignition cutoff, you know the affordable simple stuff. I doubt I will go turbo will this car. too much work and power for my first. so as far as the ZC goes, a fair bit nicer up front, DOHC instead of SOHC among other nice things about the ZC, but in the long run would I be better off to go with the D16, and be able to find parts for it? Thanks in advance.

just put another DOHC ZC in it - much quicker than any stock SOHC D-series engine - don't believe all that stuff you read about no aftermarket support for the DOHC ZC - anything you can get for a SOHC can be found for the DOHC - most of what you read about that is posted by people that never owned a DOHC ZC and they are just repeating what some other idiot posted

thanks for clearing that up, its good to hear that, because i really liked the idea of the ZC. can you recommend any good places to pick one up ? about how much should i be looking to spend ? the blown motor in the car right now is for sure a ZC, so the harness and everything should be 100% for the next one right?

google 'used jdm honda engines' and you will find many places that import the engines - most of them have DOHC ZCs - where are you located?

yes, another ZC will drop right in

for good ZC info go to: www.thezcr.com

if you have the money why not spend it to fix the old one? that way you have some new parts in there. maybe some pistons,rod bolts,new bearings and oil and water pump. Prolly put slightly higher compression pistons to give a little more umph.

Your best bet would be on some forums or something. I kinda dont like the prices of any online dealer when it comes to the zc engines or smaller. but thats just me. I would look on forums first

thanks for the link, its fantastic, these guys know everything about ZC's, It will help me tons.and its a good idea taco, that would definately be my first option, but the severety of the damage isnt a blown head gasket, or a bent valve, its a piston through the block.

Last edited:
Back