need advice!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turnrightracing

Alright so here is the story. I have a v6 mustang right now, which I am going to sell for about $8000. This is enough to get an old (preferably 1993 body style) civic hatch SI, with a bigger engine.

I have little knowledge as what engine to get. I was looking at a B22, however I want to boost the engine, and I heard that the B22's compression ratio is too low to boost it.
Basically I'm looking for an engine that will make the car faster then my v6 mustang (200hp) and that is easy enough to boost without problems.

Because of my lack of knowledge, I figured I'd come here and ask the pro's right?

Performance is my main outlook right now...not the look of the car. That's later. All I need is a modded engine...with nice exhaust (also I dont need a lot of boost....10-12lbs is fine.)

Ideas...?

you need to research first. honda didn't make a "B22" engine.

If you want a quick little car on a budget, find yourself an Si with a clean body.

build a little turbo kit for about $1500. it will destroy your old mustang because of the power to weight ratio.

if you want to stay NA, get yourself a b18c1/integra gsr motor. i/h/e.

you should be able to get a car and turbo it for less than $5000. work on the suspension and tires and you will be golden.

I know the gsr makes roughly 190 hp right?

I really want to stay all honda and no integra motors...plus I'd need the gsr tranny...(6 bolt as opposed to 4)

as far as the b18c goes...do you think this would be the best motor to boost...or would you say leave this N/A....and how much hp does it put out without mods?

edit: sorry about the b22 thing...I heard someone had a B22 in their car...and I asked a guy about it who told me what I said. Just goes to show don't believe everything you hear!

Last edited:
well, do you want to keep the motor stock and boost it or do you want to have a bigger engine with more power?

dude you dont know shit but are trying to act like you do..the biggest honda motor you can put in your car is going to be a b16..anything bigger is from an acura(which is basically the same thing)
there is no b22,,there is a b20...and you want low compression for a turbo build....

heres an idea,,,do some research,,
you can get a cheap 93 shell(like less than 2k) then you go get an ls(from an integra)(less than 1k for the motor and tranny) then you get the mount kit,and linkage(less than 1k easy)and you have 4k left to do internals and a turbokit

if you get the gsr you will easily break the 200hp.and you will easily break a garbage ass v6 stang...power to weight ration owns YOU!!!

alright well that's why I came here....to get some info... I just need to get more familiar with the engines and like everyone said DO SOME RESEARCH. I just wanted to know what engines to do research on to narrow it.

Thanks.

dude you dont know shit but are trying to act like you do..the biggest honda motor you can put in your car is going to be a b16..anything bigger is from an acura(which is basically the same thing)
there is no b22,,there is a b20...and you want low compression for a turbo build....

heres an idea,,,do some research,,
you can get a cheap 93 shell(like less than 2k) then you go get an ls(from an integra)(less than 1k for the motor and tranny) then you get the mount kit,and linkage(less than 1k easy)and you have 4k left to do internals and a turbokit

if you get the gsr you will easily break the 200hp.and you will easily break a garbage ass v6 stang...power to weight ration owns YOU!!!

Someone needed to tell him that.

Like I just said I just needed an Idea at which engines to research. I don't know a lot, and I'm new to the whole honda community other than basic stuff.

gotta sell the slow mustang first.

and I didn't mean to be a "know it all punk kid who wants to put a fart cannon on and an intake and call it a racecar"...so sorry if it seemed like that.

I just needed some place to start.

Thanks for your help...

do you know any websites or places where I could find more info on it off hand?

I found some pretty good stuff on inlinefour.com....i'll keep looking...how much does a small turbo kit cost..including the header and everything?

it really all depends where you get them from and if you get them used,and what all is included..hondaswap has alot of info you just have to search for it...

all the stuff on craigslist around me is either crazy expensive or has some dumb bodykit on it. I'll try the classifieds tho.

Why are you opposed to an Integra motor? Integras are Hondas too, all the Acuras are. It's like Toyota and Lexus...same thing, different name (or maybe Ford and Lincoln if that makes more sense; you seem to be a domestic guy). There is no Acura in Japan, all the Acura cars (Integra, TSX, RL, whatever) are just sold as Hondas.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to use an Integra motor...it's manufactured by Honda and will easily swap into a 92-95 Civic chassis...

Also, were you maybe thinking of an H22 when you said "B22"? That's the 2.2 liter Prelude motor. You might want to consider that one actually. It makes 200 horses and 160 ft/lbs torque straight from the factory. I'm surprised no one's brought it up here yet...

Oh, and FYI, a GS-R motor makes 170 horses, not 190. Go into the reference section here and look at the engine list. It has horsepower and torque numbers for each engine, and it will also tell you which chassis they originally came in.

hmm maybe an H22 was what i heard.
and by no means am I a domestic guy. I'm open to everything. The only reason I got the mustang was because I got an AWESOME deal on it.

I'm going to do a lot of looking around....and I'm not opposed to an Acura motor...I just didnt want the GSR engine.

I'm just looking for performance out of one of the greatest cars ever made...because where I live there's a LOT of people who hate civics...so why not have one that beats their rednecks in everything right?

I'm going to do a lot of looking around....and I'm not opposed to an Acura motor...I just didnt want the GSR engine.

The term "Acura motor" is really a misnomer. It's all Honda. Like I said, Acura only exists in the US and Canada. Everywhere else in the world all the Acura vehicles are Hondas.

And why are you opposed to the GS-R motor? It's really a great engine for whatever your goals are, N/A, boost, whatever...

Well really the only reason I don't want the GSR engine is because I have a friend doing that same swap...so I want to do something different.

Back