Need an opinion on buying this car! plz

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gunsnbam

Hey everybody Im about to buy a 1999 honda civic hatchback dx for 5k do you think this would be a good deal? heres a little info

"A super clean 1999 honda civic with a 1999 stock b16a2 swap. The swap had 57k on it when i got it. JG Elderbroch Victor X. DC sport ceramic header. The shell had 80k on it when it was swapped. 2002 black rsx interior front and rear. Showa D2 full adjustable coilovers in the front and koni yellows with coilovers in the rear. BMW hid's with those sweet blue film headlights (looks great at night). OEM mid wing. 92 ex brakes(1" bigger) with integra calipers. Polished Rota Slipstreams with 85% tread. OEM 1999 SI lip, GSR tranny, Apexi world sport exhaust."

View attachment 7392

Another question I have is how hard and what would i need to put AC in the car? Couldnt I just take all the parts from the CX trim? Anybody got an idea on the cost? Id really appreicate any and all opinions!^_^

Last edited:
My opinion is you're buying someone elses headache. I just get leary when buying a car someone else has modified

seems like a good deal.. but like nootrac said... you may just be buying someone elses headache

:ditto: :withstupid: If you REALLY want it though, I would take someone very knowledgeable with you, so that you can have a second opinion. I may be doing the same if a deal comes through for me and I will be taking my mechanic with me.

Just to point this out, a friend of mine had a stock B16 with a GSR tranny. He said it was a dog down low. Like worse then the original D. It has potential if you swap in a B18A/B/C bottom end, but I wouldn't spend 5K on a Honda that I still have to work on.

so far it seems clean. depending how hacked the interior parts are from fitting RSX parts into a civic. as for the engine. ive seen some low ok runs from a b16. but i ve also seen b18c's kill some hefty competition. if its all done clean and actually had some loving care put into it. then yeah. 5k would be an ok price. ask why exactly is he getting rid of a complete car almost if he built it. sorry guy. but people dont build a car and dump so much money into one and just send it away unless their tired of it or it has a problem they no longer want to deal with. but yeah. a knowledgeable person would be great for you to drag along with you to check it out more.

Yeah im taking my dad and hes very knowledgeable about all this stuff. Btw i was wrong its a b16 tranny, and my plan would be to sleeve and build my ls block and then swap that in with the b16 head.

The B16 tranny is a much better choice for a B16. You'll get the most out of the motor with that gearbox in there. If your dad checks it over and it seems ok, I'd say go for it!

• Make sure the engine has been warmed up before beginning the test, to ensure that the oil has been warmed up. A cold engine will not test correctly.
  • Disable the ignition module or coil.
  • Insert the compression tester into one cylinder spark plug hole at a time.
  • Hold the throttle to full open position to ensure the engine gets adequate air intake.
  • Crank the engine continually for at least five to 10 full revolutions to obtain an accurate reading on the compression tester.
  • Record the reading for each cylinder. If any of them vary 10 percent or more from each other a problem may exist in one or more cylinders. If the variance is greater than 10 percent, specialized testing equipment may be required to fully diagnose the problem.
  • If all cylinder readings are within 10 percent of each other, no further testing is required and compression is considered optimal.
Google is awesome.

I r no jeeneeus when it comes to enjuns - but is the air filter/intake missing? Is that a red flag in someone's book?

What's the barfing for? I always liked that show.

I agree with whats said above , you might buying somebody elses problem . why is the own selling a car he put so much work in for 5k ?

you might be ok with that, even if it ran without an intake... depending on how long and where it was driven. If he ever went down a dirt road ONCE without that filter, I would walk away.

Back