Need audio help? Post here.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok so your sayin that i have an amp with a 30 amp fuse in it it is ok to put a 100 amp fuse in the front? If that is the case why do they make all the different size fuses for the inline holders, why don't they just sell a 200 amp fuse for up front for every single amp kit ever produced. thats right cause it is supposed to match with the amperage you have with all the amplifiers you have added up.

(the IASCA rule is within 18"). VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! This fuse protects your vehicle from burning up in case of the power wiring shorting out. The wire between the fuse and the battery terminal will be unprotected, which is why you want this section to be as short as possible. The fuse size depends on the current the power wire will carry. Consult the owner's manual of your amplifier(s) to find out the maximum current draw of your system. You can also contact the manufacturer and ask them for that information. For multiple amplifiers you will need to add up the maximum current draw of each amplifier. Once you know the maximum current draw you'll know what size fuse to use. For example, if your maximum current draw is 50 amps then you'll need a 50 amp fuse.

Right from the IASCA rules

ok so your sayin that i have an amp with a 30 amp fuse in it it is ok to put a 100 amp fuse in the front? If that is the case why do they make all the different size fuses for the inline holders, why don't they just sell a 200 amp fuse for up front for every single amp kit ever produced. thats right cause it is supposed to match with the amperage you have with all the amplifiers you have added up.

Yes, I am saying it's okay to have an amp fused at 30A on a 100A under the hood fuse. Done it myself. They make different sized fuses because ideally, you want to have a fuse close to your amp's rating. Also, you don't want to have a fuse that will allow more current to flow through a power wire than it can handle. For example, putting 100A through 8awg wire is a bad idea because it will burn up, potentially causing harm to your amp or electrical system.

wrong.jpg

wow so you and a bunch of other people who don't know what the hell they are doing wanna bash me. you should link this thread over there if i don't lock it first. and if ya looked i posted something up directly from the iasca rules and it pretty much backs what i am saying.

I never said there was anything wrong with fusing near your amp's rating. Nothing at all. I just said there's nothing wrong with over-fusing.

BCAE is a very useful tool, and that is a nice program :)

Tell me this, in a perfect environment, with 0 risk of a short circuit, would you need a fuse under your hood?

Last edited:
Just saw something else I should throw in that was brought up on the car audio forum...

Never, ever, ever, everrrr replace the fuse on your amp with a larger fuse. If you have an amp rated for 50A and you put 80A worth of fusing on it, if something goes wrong, your amp will be fried.

wow, there is a lot of bad advice goin around here lately.

maybe we should add something to the forum like the surgon generals warning on cigerates.

"Warning dumbass advice given on this forum may be hazardous to you and/or your cars health"

"Taking advice from this forum can cause low birth weight"

My personal experience with headunits is with Kenwood, watch out for the cheaper ones. 100-150 dollar headunits aren't that great. Specifically the flip or fold down faceplate units. I've seen several (including one of my own) where you'd push a button and the displays would cut out and either pop back on or stay off so you can't even control it via remote.

I've never had problems with pioneer units though.

Aside from the infamous pico fuse issue with Pioneers, they are very nice decks :)

I just sold my Clarion DXZ955MC... wonderful deck, I enjoyed every second with it.

I've had many base pioneer headunits along the years, and have not been impressed to much by them. The pioneer Premier head units are the best that I have come along in a while though.

I agree with jmanpc. I don't want to blow the inline under normal operation... I'm just concerned about shorts... Plus, my amp is fused already.

...but to each his own i guess

Premier FTW!! My friends and I buy nothing but premier anymore. They just sound great.

I use to have a Pioneer Preimer DEH P780MP. Sweat radio!. I just wish that I knew how to fix it. Screen went out and I couldn't see anything, then the whole radio died one day. :(

Back