Need computer geek help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Alright, I kinda have this for speakers where you can have 2 sourse hooked up to one set of speakers and to switch the sourse, you just push a button and now you have a diffrent sourse. Now I want to do that with my monitor so that way I can just use my old PC as like a music player and my new one for everything else.

All my friends have 2 hard drives and 2 Operating systems in 1 computer, why not setup like that. I share with my friends computer all the time since he has a server. But I never heard of 2 computers on 1 moniter. I'm positive theres a way. Thats just like listening to a radio while listening to your computer. I don't see the reason of having 2 computers...

There are monitor switch boxen available. You can use them to switch between two inputs and one output (your situation) or one input and two outputs.

I would recommend a KVM Switch , you can get em at best buy, 2 port or 4 port around $80-100 for the 2 port and 4 port is around $150, Belkin is a great one.

your not gonna find anything much cheaper. You might find a video swtch cheaper (I don't think you'll find just a video switch these days as KVM's are replacing them) but then your gonna need two keyoboards and two mice still. A KVm switch reduces that to one keyboard,mouse,monitor for multiple computers.

I'd check out these two products from linksys.

Linksys PS2KVMSK ProConnect 2-Port Compact KVM Switch Kit
Used & new from: $59.03

or

Linksys PS2KVM4 ProConnect 4-Port Compact KVM Switch (PS/2)
Buy new: $79.95

I have the Linksys PS2KVM4, works great.

if you look on ebay you might find somwthing cheaper

Look online if you want cheaper. newegg.com has KVM switches for much less than $50.

Back