need D15 engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK so I think a plan is coming together. dilbeckskate posted a link to an 0BD0 non Vtech engine that is listed at 137 HP. My original engine was 92 HP. So can I get a 45 HP gain by putting this engine in the car? And only have to do the MPFI change?

I must be missing something here. Please let me know what else is involved in this swap.

AND Big Question,, will I get any HP gain if I keep my original dizzy and DPFI set up?

I want to keep the car as stock as possible, but a 50% HP gain would really nice :)

Thanks guys. BTW I do have the "Honda Engine Swaps" book I bought form Amazon, so I'm trying to do all the research that I can.

Thanks again
Alex

Last edited:
OK I read that the PM6 ecu will work bit isn't the most desirable. How much would it cost just to buy a whole engine harness and resistor box from an EX or Si?

Is that about all that it takes????? Man 135 HP would be great !!

OK one more real noob question. I assume 20 year old car with 280K miles will need some new suspension struts. What do you recommend that is close to stock and won't break the bank?

Well first you would have to change over to mpfi cause your stock dpfi won't fit on the dohc zc motor. And second you can't just swap the harness to make it mpfi but you will need a donor harness for the injector plugs and resistor box. There is a write up on how to do this. The best ecu for this swap is from a 88-89 integra. If you want I can write up a how to on doing the change.

OK what am I missing?? If I install the DOHC engine with it's Dizzy and the ECU and the wiring harness, and the resistor box,, what else is needed?

well you will have to use the engine harness from the original motor then you will have to wire in four injector plugs. Run the 4 wires over to the resistor box, then you will need to run two more wires to the ecu and change the original two injector wire from the stock harness around on the ecu... there is a better write up on the web..

Thank you. I was confused. I thought I might need the entire wiring harness from the new engine.

So let me check my list again.

DPFI to MPFI swap including resistor box
PM7 PG6 or PM6 ecu
Civic Si throttle cable
fuel injector feed line
top radiator hose

Does that sound like it is all I need if I use the DOHC non Vtec motor?

Is there a MPFI wiring kit made by anyone with instructions? I would gladly spend a few bucks that might save me a lot of time and trouble.

If there isn't someone a lot more knowledgeable than me should build one. It would certainly sell!!

Again guys
I really appreciate the help. I love my little car and want to keep it running, and a few HP WOULD be nice (-:

Realistically the DOHC ZC power is about the same as a D16A6, D16Z6, and D16Y8. If you're going to modify it in the future, the SOHCs are a better route, but if you're staying "stock", the DOHC ZC is just fine.

If you use OBD1 or OBD2 injectors, you do not need a resistor box; though you will need to swap clips.

Rywire and maybe some other companies sell a MPFI conversion kit.

*Also make sure you're getting axles and the intermediate shaft in the swap package(this is if you're going to use the original DOHC ZC transmission)

Last edited:
Thanks guys I think the plan will be to use the dohc engine and just do the MPFI swap. I do need the resistor box if I go that route right?

The info I ve seen says that the ZC is 135 hp. Since I´ve been driving a 92 hp engine with almost 300K miles..I think I will be happy :)

Again thanks for the info !!

Alex

Yes, resistor box if you use the stock OBD0 injectors.

I was comparing the DOHC ZC to D16s, not the D15s(excluding the JDM D15B); actual figures are around 110whp, while the DPFI D15B2 is around 70-ish IIRC. I've seen converted D15s(MPFI and Si cam) around 100-105whp. DPFI kills an engine that much!

The DOHC ZC's only downfall is aftermarket support; there's just more parts for the SOHCs. Of course, as stated before, if you're staying with the original motor, this does not matter.

I checked RyWire's site and couldn't find this. Does anyone have a link,,or another manufacturer?

I am an electronic tech I could probably do this myself. Where would I find the most accurate easiest to follow instructions? I have searched here, and other sites, sometimes there is conflicting info.

Its fairly easy to do just get a chiltons manual to get the pinout of the ecu.. I just ran 4 new wires to the ecu from the injectors, red, light blue, yellow, and i think brown.. You will have to remove two wires from the dizzy plug on the car harness and move them to the external cam sensor.. Also you will need to change the dizzy plug as the one that comes on the zc motor is different than the usdm plug.. The other four wires on the injectors go to the resistor box.. This is the easier way I think it should be done...

Back