Need D16z6 Swap help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pone01

Ok so is my first engine swap in my 91 hatch and want everything set up and in order before i start the swap. I just want to see if i have all the parts need to make the swap and to see if there is anything that i should do while i have the motor out i.e like replace this or that part.
Parts i have
z6 head
z6 dizzy with cap and wires
spark plugs
Skunk 2 Intake valves and retainers
Skunk 2 Cam
Aem Cam gear
felpro head gasket
Skunk 2 proSeries Intake Manifold
BDL Racing fuel Rail
p28 ecu
d series si tranny
short throw shifter
complete y8 engine.

So i plan on removing most of the y8 parts and putting on the parts that i have. Before you say why not just use the complete y8 engine i was going to buy just a bottom block and build it but the guy selling it didnt want to sell it. So i wanna know from what i have listed what parts am i missing and what can i use from the y8? For the wiring shouldn't it all be plug and play since both engines use a p28? Anything that you guys would recommend doing while the engine is out like maintenance wise that would be easier with the engine out or anything that i should do while its out?

you should really use an obd1 engine harness buy a jumper from the obdo plugs to an obd1 harness that way you wont have to run any wires yourself

I would use the starter for the block so that the mounting bolts line up. but then again aren't all d-series starters going to be the same or am I wrong?

all d series starters are the same :D haha get the jumper to obd1 i have the z6 swap in my rex. haha get yours up and running and we can trade :D i want a ef hatch. :D
but if ya got any questions ask me.

I have a thing against the y series blocks. But if you're already there just use it till it spins a bearing.

Oh yeah and if your car is not si then you'll need to convert to MPFI, then convert to OBD1 and use D16Z6 injectors.

Last edited:
Anyone have a really good writeup for dpfi to mpfi? Whats wrong with the y8 block?

this pin out will help i cant get my write up to upload

Attachments

• pin out.gif
    pin out.gif
    171.3 KB · Views: 2,469
not that good but here is one

Attachments

• dx-to-si_conversion.gif
    dx-to-si_conversion.gif
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,342
is your car dpfi or mpfi if your car is dpfi then your body harness on the left shock tower is 14 pin plug if it was set up for mpfi it 8 pin plug the reason being for having to do the dpfi to mpfi swap is that your under dash harness is not set up to run for injectors or crank pos sensor

you should have something against the y series motors. the oil pumps suck!! If you have the y8 intake mani I would run that, maybe find a b-series tb to throw on there. The y8 intake manifold is best flowing stock d-series intake manifold, plus the 240 cc injectors with the y8 are bigger than the other d-series injectors.

Back