Need details about how to prep a car before a pain

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Buktheng

Hi, I plan on getting a paint job soon and I want to do the prep work myself. I'm not sure what exactly to do and what strength sand paper to buy. Can someone tell me what exactly to do or show me to a website that explains everything. Thanks!

can you post it up?
I need to paint a door and fender that I have. They are both black and my car is the teal color(I can't remember the name)
The door and fender are used, but not on the car. I'm sure I can paint it on my own, but I need to know the steps I should take before I spray and pray.
Thanks .

if the two panels are in good condition, as in not needing bondo then i would advise that you just scuff it with red scotch bright pads

this should be sufficient for the new paint to stick to...
you just wanna scuff the shine off the panels...

to get better results use primer

and for even better results sand the primer with 320 before spraying

autobodydepot.net has all sorts of supplies as well as mixing your car's color and putting it in an aerosol can for you...

edit: and for a whole car, you can either scuff, or if you have a GOOD QUALITY palm DA you can run 120 then prime it, then 320 the primer, then prime again, then 320 again, then drop it off at the paint booth

So do I scuff with water or dry?
I have to wash everything off after I scufff off the shine right?

scuff dry. With scotch bright and sand paper. Only wet sand with actual wetsand paper. they are normally 400 up to 4000 grit.

When finished blow off first then use cleaner. I dont know what the term for it is but your local paint shop should know. after that you can use a tack rag to clean up the small particles.
NEVER USE WATER. It will hide under cracks or trim and appear when you spray the paint.....not good.
any way hope that helps. ohh if it comforts you i use to work at a body shop.

Back