1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need ECU advise putting 99 civic ex motor in 96 ex chasis

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by strider380, Oct 22, 2010.

1. strider380

strider380 New Member

So I am a newbie and this is my first time dealing with ecu's. Basically I threw a rod in a 96 civic ex and have a 99 ex motor to replace it. Everything looked exactly the same so I swapped them. I currently have the 99 wiring harness on the 99 motor in the 96 civic. Now that its in and I'm done with everything, I see the ECU's are different I started searching the web and am unclear as to what to do.

I am sure you all know this, the 96 has obd-2a and the 99 has obd-2b. Can someone please tell me what to do, I am so close to having a running car again. Not sure, but I read somewhere that putting the 96 harness and ecu on the 99 motor would cause me to fail emmisions? I see they sell conversion harnesses for 100 bucks or so, but I am confused because the 96 has 3 plugs on the engine harness. And the 99 has to plugs on the engine harness and 1 on the old 99 chasis harness. You guys could really help me out by shedding some light on this for me as to what I should do.
  2. egb19c

egb19c New Member

Use the 96 ex engine harness in the 96 chassis.

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

^^ Yes ^^
    Use the 96 harness and ECU. It should be smog legal in any state. You are putting a newer motor in an old chassis. Converting it over is totally fine in terms of the smog sniffer and it will visually look fine.

Only thing that might be a worry is if its a JDM motor in your car now. You would then need to swap the Intake Manifolds b/c USDM cars have a evap purge solenoid.
Draft saved Draft deleted