Need ECU help for OBD1 EJ coupe w/ H22A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondaborn

sup everyone this is my first post here. Ive read some helpful articles here, hopefully someone can help me with my problem. I recently got an H22A partially installed in my ej coupe from a mechanic I met recently. I say partially because the motor runs fine but there are small things that are incomplete that I had hoped he would have finished, but thats a long story and Im just working with friends to knock these issues one by one. Ive worked on mostly b-series motors and decided to go a different route on this car and try an H motor.

What im researching now is what ecu to run and how to program it. This civic was previously an automatic that was coverted to a 5spd H22A. I am currently running an automatic P28 converted to 5spd. What I was told was that this ecu would work but I would need to get it chipped because of fuel issues. I did noticed that one pin on the ecu harnes is jumped (i thinks its the IAB). I hear a lot of different opinions.... use a p28, use a p72, and use a p13. And I think i also read someones post of chipping a p28 w/ p13 maps or something of that nature. I wanted an opinion from anyone with experience, the people here seem to be very knowledgable. Im hoping that I can do something with my p28 ecu that I already have, just want to do it right the first time and not dig myself a deeper hole. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
sup everyone this is my first post here. Ive read some helpful articles here, hopefully someone can help me with my problem. I recently got an H22A partially installed in my ej coupe from a mechanic I met recently. I say partially because the motor runs fine but there are small things that are incomplete that I had hoped he would have finished, but thats a long story and Im just working with friends to knock these issues one by one. Ive worked on mostly b-series motors and decided to go a different route on this car and try an H motor.

What im researching now is what ecu to run and how to program it. This civic was previously an automatic that was coverted to a 5spd H22A. I am currently running an automatic P28 converted to 5spd. What I was told was that this ecu would work but I would need to get it chipped because of fuel issues. I did noticed that one pin on the ecu harnes is jumped (i thinks its the IAB). I hear a lot of different opinions.... use a p28, use a p72, and use a p13. And I think i also read someones post of chipping a p28 w/ p13 maps or something of that nature. I wanted an opinion from anyone with experience, the people here seem to be very knowledgable. Im hoping that I can do something with my p28 ecu that I already have, just want to do it right the first time and not dig myself a deeper hole. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

keep the p28 that you have and have it chipped with the h22 fuel map and have the speed limiter taken out and the vtec engagement lowered and the rev limiter raised go to honda-tech and look for member turbogixer he is the shit and can do it for cheap.

Quoted post[/post]]
Thanks for your input. Has anyone else run into this issue before?
We usually go with a p13, it's overall easier and is going to run closer to correct compared to a p28 jumped to 5spd.
You can have your p28 chipped and all that, but personally i wouldn't do it for the h22.
I would just get the p13, and i would completely disreguard what the other person in this thread said.
DO NOT raise the revlimiter in an H... You don't need to remove the speed limiter, anyone going more than 130mph should be a real RACER or tuner, not just "some dude with an h22 OMG GET TEH SPOON PROGRAM ON EBAY!!!", and the VTEC point is fine.

Thanks. Im assuming that I need to get the JDM ecu or can I run an american p13? Or are they the same? I Know the B16 is different

Back