Need Everyone's Input

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey everyone,

After searching around for a new project car (2002+), I've decided to keep my SiR hatch, and work on it instead. A newer car meant more payments, and higher insurance. So, I've allocated about $5000 cdn. in which to work with. There are a few small things that need to be done anyways, but my goal is to update the car, so I can drive it daily for another few years. This means gas milage, general comfort, and every day driveability are all major factors in my decisions when it comes to modifications.

The only real "must do" is paint. The paint looks great as it is, but being a 13 year old car, there are a few dime-size rust bubbles on one of the rear wheel wells, and a small spot of rust on the passenger side door. And being a black car, stone chips, and swirl marks galore. But honestly, a 8 out of 10 on overall exterior condition. Just needs some light body work, a good sanding, and a fresh coat. I want to spend about $1000 doing this, and I want to keep it black.

So that being said, my car is already in a good spot. I've got the SiRII engine and tranny, ITR clutch and flywheel, AEM Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, TEIN super street damper, DC lower tie bar, EBC greenstuff pads on honda rotors (high temp brake fluid, rear drum), and some 16" Motegi MR7's with goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3's. It's a great setup, but I'm getting bored with it.

So my options are:

1) $1K on paint, 4K on motor (build LS/VTEC, CR/VTEC, or swap for something else [JDM H22A, and would sell my SiRII complete changeover])
2) $1K on paint, 4K on forced induction (JRSC or Turbo, but there goes my gas milage)
3) $1K on paint, $2K on motor mods to my B16A, $1K on new seats, $600 on brakes (rear disk swap, brembo blanks all around, greenstuff pads for rear, SS lines, MOTUL fluid), and finally $400 on misc. (new floormats, get my horribly chipping valve cover polished, new bendy wrap for my wiring harness in the engine bay just to make the bay look brand new, and sell my current rims and tires and get some 15x6.5's with any left over funds.

If I keep my SiRII, I'd like to freshen it up a bit. I'd have $2K to spend on it, so I might consider taking the head off and throwing in some new piston rings and replace a few bearings (the engine only has 80k on it, but what the hell). But for $2K, I could get going faster than I am. Perhaps some of you would have an idea of how to build a B16A N/A with a $2K budget?

I know the FI is going to be a popular choice, but honestly, I'm not putting together a "homemade" kit for $1K....cheap, fast, reliable...choose two. And not to mention, my gas milage would go down the shitter. If I'm putting a turbo kit on the car, it's a proper kit with new hoses, piping, and perhaps a used t3/T4 and a new manifold. It's getting chrome, or whatever, and a proper tune...basically no hackjobs. The JRSC proves to be a alternate choice, but still. I'd need alot of convincing to go this route.....

Anyways, sorry for the rant.....I'd just like to make my budget work, and have a nice fresh car that I'd be excited to drive again. And as much as I'm NOT a ricer in any way, looking at a stock 93 hatch isn't as appealing as it once was.....so maybe a nice front mugen lip or something as well. Who knows!

Thanks for looking......

What is exactly getting boring about your car? yeah you should fix the paint.

I did all new prothane bushings all around. You could do that. The rear disc swap is nice, I did that too and totally worth it.

I don't know lately I've been wanting to tune my car, since I know that the jdm ecu is tuned to run on 96 octane, which is nowhere near here.

I'd definately do a compression check before replacing piston rings.

Quoted post[/post]]

I did all new prothane bushings all around. You could do that. The rear disc swap is nice, I did that too and totally worth it.

I don't know lately I've been wanting to tune my car, since I know that the jdm ecu is tuned to run on 96 octane, which is nowhere near here.

Whats boring about my car? Don't know really....just bored of it. I've been driving the same setup for over a year now, and I'm just really used to it. Time for more power and and an updated look.....you know...put the "spark" back in our relationship...lol.

No kidding about the compression check though, wouldn't be much point in replacing rings if the compression was perfect, which I assume it is. But if I go that route, I'd still have $2K to spend on getting it going faster. Maybe some CTR Pistons/valvetrain, and some nice cams? I dunno. Not really sure what to do with $2K on a B16.

Quoted post[/post]]

DriverUnknown....i cant believe YOU said that...it is made to run on 96 RON grade gasoline...in the american (AKI) standard 95.5 RON = 91 AKI...TISK TISK.

n e way. I think a piston upgrade and changing to CTR cams with a new valve train would be a good upgrade...probably wouldnt cost too far from 2k...maybe just a LITTLE more if you dont build the engine yourself.

Back