Need Everyone's opinion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey all,

I have to do a speech in my Public Relations class at my college and need some input for my topic. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Here is my topic:
This past summer there have been five or six street racing fatalities in Toronto envolving Honda Civics. Because of this, insurance companies in the greater Toronto area have raised premiums substantially to everyone driving a civic, no matter the year, trim, or driving record. My insurance alone was raised by over $1000 cdn. per year. I personally think this is bullshit. It's profiling in the worst way and stereotypes everyone driving a civic which are susposed to be family cars.

What are your opinions on this topic? Do you think it is fair and justified for insurance companies to raise premiums like this? I am trying to argue that it is wrong, but it is your choice how you answer this.

Thanks for anyone who helps out.

Ryan.

Yes it is wrong. Will it stop? No. Profiling is what insurance companies are all about. When you buy a car, you are instantly shoved into a demographic. Are all insurance companies raising rates on civics? or just yours?

All of them, I talked to my broker and he said it is a city-wide increase. He said that the civic, because of the past summer, is now dubbed as a "high risk" vehicle. total bullshit.

Then there is nothing you can do. Yes, it is wrong. No, it won't stop. There are 2 industries that are pretty much "safe" from meddling by the government - Insurance, and Cable... at least that's how it is in America.

Yes it's profiling, but that's sort of an insurance company's job. You can try to bring legal action to them, but will it be worth the hassle and additional cost? Why do you think everyone rags on "street racers" so bad? Because whether they know it, or care, they are hurting everyone by skyrocketing the insurance rates.

End your speech with

'I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free'

Yes it's profiling, but that's sort of an insurance company's job.

i believe the term would be statistical analysis

and are they raising only modded civics? or every civic, even if its driven by a 65 year old woman?

I would think if the increase extends to all people with all civics Honda of Canada would be pretty upset about that. Maybe if you contact them they might be inclined to take action.

Originally posted by reckedracing+Dec 13 2004, 12:33 PM-->
Yes it's profiling, but that's sort of an insurance company's job.

i believe the term would be statistical analysis

and are they raising only modded civics? or every civic, even if its driven by a 65 year old woman?
[post=431316]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope, they have raised the premium on all Honda Civics, specific to the Toronto demographic only, in spite of the past summer. I was just trying to argue that it is not at all fair to the rest of us who have to pay for others mistakes. By raising insurance premiums, the insurance companies are labeling all drivers of Honda civics potential street racers, and more at risk in being involved in a potentially fatal accident. Just wanted to know if anyone could analyze this in another way (arguing my standpoint).

cycloneb18c3
@Dec 13 2004, 12:42 PM
"and thats profiling,.....and profilling is wrong." --Ron White
[post=431320]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey man, they don't call him the Tater for nothin.....

well I can see doing it on all trims because how many people have "VX" civics running 12 seconds quarter miles. Alot. Trim level means shit becaue no matter what trim, you can mod a civic. As for no matter who it is, that sucks. I can see haveing a teen get higher but 30 year old+ no.

You can try to argue it, but you will just get swept under like everyone else that has. That's why nobody fucks with insurance companies. Their entire rate structure is based on statistical averages, and if a series of large, high-dollar claims happen with drivers who just happen to be driving that model vehicle, their rate structures are going to shoot up for clients who drive that vehicle.

buy a different car
move
blame canada

there are more than 3 suggestions..

and im not saying that to be a dick- i'm saying that to give the options in your call for action closer of you speach.

i would argue that the civics that were in the fatal accidents were most likely HIGHLY modified, and therefore no longer belonged in the standard honda civic class...

and if they were not properly registered as highly modified vehicles then they should be considered illegal, not to be driven on the road, and therefore taken out of the statistical analysis...

also argue that most modifications specify FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY...

it might help to get statistics regarding the percentage of fatal accidents involving "regular" civics?

use lots of numbers in your speech, harder for people to mount a counter arguement...

Originally posted by Guy+Dec 13 2004, 11:08 AM-->
I would think if the increase extends to all people with all civics Honda of Canada would be pretty upset about that. Maybe if you contact them they might be inclined to take action.
[post=431348]Quoted post[/post]​
it dosn't we work province by province

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 13 2004, 01:47 PM
You can try to argue it, but you will just get swept under like everyone else that has. That's why nobody fucks with insurance companies. Their entire rate structure is based on statistical averages, and if a series of large, high-dollar claims happen with drivers who just happen to be driving that model vehicle, their rate structures are going to shoot up for clients who drive that vehicle.
[post=431427]Quoted post[/post]​

no they won't in my province alberta an insurance companey can no longer ask about, marital status, parenthood, SEX, AGE,
they can only base premium on tickets and acedents nothing else

reckedracing
@Dec 13 2004, 02:04 PM
i would argue that the civics that were in the fatal accidents were most likely HIGHLY modified, and therefore no longer belonged in the standard honda civic class...

and if they were not properly registered as highly modified vehicles then they should be considered illegal, not to be driven on the road, and therefore taken out of the statistical analysis...

it might help to get statistics regarding the percentage of fatal accidents involving "regular" civics?

use lots of numbers in your speech, harder for people to mount a counter arguement...
[post=431440]Quoted post[/post]​

up here the laws are way to lax i have a truck that has nothing stock but some of the sheet metal and it is now registurd as a kit car.there are no diffrences until we hit the less than 40% original

Originally posted by hcivic.com+Dec 13 2004, 02:12 PM-->
Originally posted by Guy@Dec 13 2004, 11:08 AM
[post=431348]Quoted post[/post]​

it dosn't we work province by province

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 13 2004, 01:47 PM
[post=431427]Quoted post[/post]​

no they won't in my province alberta an insurance companey can no longer ask about, marital status, parenthood, SEX, AGE,
they can only base premium on tickets and acedents nothing else

reckedracing
@Dec 13 2004, 02:04 PM

[post=431440]Quoted post[/post]​

up here the laws are way to lax i have a truck that has nothing stock but some of the sheet metal and it is now registurd as a kit car.there are no diffrences until we hit the less than 40% original
[post=431452]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly. The statistical averages are driven mainly by claims. If this series of accidents resulted in large claims (which they probably did if they were fatal) then the statistical average for Honda Civic drivers is going to go up very quickly.

Back