Need H23a1 Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nuc79

Here's the summary:

I am planning on buying a 94 USDM H23A1 w approx. 90k mi. Currently it is still in the prelude and does run, but knocks because of a spun rod bearing. I offered him $350 for the engine with all sensors, ecu, and wiring, no tranny or axles. He countered me with $400.

Does this sound like a good price? I am planning on building the motor for boost, with new rods and pistons, to replace my worn out F22.

Also, how much should I expect to pay to repair damage caused by the wiped bearing?

Thanks in advance.

dohc_vtec:

I'll try to get him to throw in the 5spd tranny, but how much shorter are the H23 gears than the F22 ones that I have now? Will it make that much of a difference with a turbo application?

Also, does a spun bearing usually require a new crank, or just regrind the old?

Thanks, man

I don't think the H23 is geared too much shorter than the F22. I'd recommend the H23 tranny, as it's stronger.

Don't know about the spun bearing....of course you'll need a new bearing, but I wouldn't think you'd need a whole new crank. Can someone else help me out here?

The guy at my local parts/engine building store said that an engine with a spun bearing that knocks will almost for sure need a new crank. I guess it doesn't take much to make a crank unturnable. I wouldn't want to risk a turbo application on a questionable bottom end. He said a new crank was about $250 for my accord, or you could find a "servicable" one for less and have it reground. Either way, you'd end up with a rebuilt bottom end. Who knows what kind of lines a guy that sells you parts is gonna tell you though. I would check with honda, or look in a manual to check for tolerances. Check that with a caliper and go from there.

Back