Need headswap info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bird333

Ok, I want to put an H22 DOHC head onto my OBD2 Accord. This is the question, I will be using an OBD2>OBD1 conversion harness. Would it be better to use an OBD2 H22 head or an OBD1 head? It seems that most of the H22 heads I see are OBD1, so how hard would it be to splice wires from the OBD2 harness to the OBD1 head if I need to go that route? Finally, what year did OBD2 start for the Prelude? Is it '96 like the Accord?

Thanks

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to make an H22 head work on an F22 bottom end? You're going to spend probably 3x-4x the cost you would if you just swapped an H22 in there.

Yes, I do know. And it won't cost me 3k. If you have an opinion on which head would be better, that would be great.

He's simply stating An H22 head onto an F22 block is extremely expensive. So there for you should just swap a complete H22 into your car.

The H22 block is better, and has higher compression. There are oil squirters for the bottom end, and the oil pump is better.

Ah hell, just fucking do it. Tell us all about your grand adventure afterwards.

I'm going to put a turbine engine on my blender. Sure, it's overkill and expensive, but it'll make one hell of a smoothie.

Guys, I have my reasons for wanting to do this. All I need is for someone to tell me in my situation, which head OBD2 or OBD1 would be better?

Thanks!

Keep your head the same OBD as the rest of the car. Don't bother with the conversion harness.

And I really do think this is going to cost you loads of cash. Aside from the obvious things that tab said, there are alot of things that aren't compatible between the two. ALOT of custom fabrication has to be done to mate the two up. Since you're asking about something as easy as which OBD you should be using, I'd advise you to further research the task at hand.

I'll point you toward http://www.pfispeed.com They're a shop local to me, and they've done the head swap. Call them and ask them about it. They've stated that it was an incredibly difficult swap, and not many gains were had.

I thought that too (about using a OBD2 H22 head), but all I seem to see are OBD1 heads. The reason I am using a conversion harness is so I can use OBD1 ECU. I guess what I really want to know is how close does a OBD2 Accord engine harness match up to a OBD1 or OBD2 H22 head?

I guess I can't tell you that. You may want to search the web to see if you can find an OBD2 P13 pinout (I think they're still classified as P13), and then compare it to the pinout of the OBD1 P13 we have here.

Also, this is pretty close to the swap that PFI Speed did, that I mentioned above. They're usually pretty happy to talk to people about stuff like this, if they're not busy. Trying calling them and see if they can help you out.

Back