need help 97 d16y7 no vtec to a d16y8 vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chuckshonda

i have a 97 civic dx d16y7 non vtec i bought a d16y8 vtec head ex want to know will it bolt rite up and what else will i have to do to get it rite ecu, etc any help i would very thankful

It will bolt right up and to get it to work you will need a Y8 ecu (OBD2A since your car is a 97), fuel injectors from a Y8, a knock sensor, a Y8 5 speed intake manifold, IACV, and throttle body. All of this is assuming that your car is a 5 speed because auto needs different parts. You will also have to add wires for VTEC, the knock sensor, and change the IACV wiring around. Do a little searching there are hundreds of write ups that can tell you how to do this.

it is a automatic so if you could give the run down for that sorry for not making that clear im new at the honda stuff so if you could walk through it thanx

Since it is auto you need the following from an auto Y8: OBD2A ecu, intake manifold, throttle body w IACV, knock sensor, and you will have to add wires from the ecu to the knock sensor and to the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch. You will also need Y8 fuel injectors.

Are you sure its a 2001? I ask because D16Y8 engines were only produced for 96-00 Civics. However if it is still a Y8 then it will work.

hey can i use the knock sensor thats already in the d16y7 block?or do i need to put a knock sensor from d16y8 i think they are the same, the knock sensor is located just above the oil filter correct.?

It is above the oil filter, but Y7s don't come stock with knock sensors. They do however, come with the mounting hole for the sensor.

Back