Need Help/Advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

street_racer_271

adrenaline is my high
I'm in the process of gutting my interior. I'm wondering if its a bad idea to take out that thick black material that’s on the interior side of the fire wall. Its annoying as hell working behind it, and I’m wondering if anyone else has done it and how. Also is it necessary to remove the oem interior paint on the floor before adding a new coat. It will be flat black. Also, one more, for having a half gutted interior, should I leave headliner in, or out? The front will have full interior excluding the rug, and visors if i decide not to do headliner. Also there is a 6 point roll cage that will be installed soon. It’s the one that goes across the door, not over. One last thing, how do you take out all your SRS pieces. I have a stubborn plug right above the interior fuse box, is there a trick to it? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Last edited:
its not a bad or good idea to remove the stuff, the only thing you will gain from it is having access to the wires behind it.
it is actually part of the firewall and is a flame retardant material used to protect the driver and the inside of the vehicle in case of an engine fire. also, it really doesn't wiegh anything (unless it gets wet).
as far as the floor, just sand it and paint it, doing the floor is hard tho because its hard to get all of the crap off of it unless you take your time with a shap vac.
Also, having nothing on your floor will make it slippery when wet, sometimes making it harder to drive the vehicle if it is a standard, on my buddies gutted integra he has a floor mat screwed to the floor just for that reason.

well i plan on having my front floor mats in, since there's a big patch on my driver side...car use to be from Quebec, don't know how it is there, but I almost cried last winter when I found all it.
Before and after
479214_277_full.jpg

WinterAgain011.jpg

Most of the rust is gone, its just some of the orange left, but this pic was taken in the beginning of winter, it's gotten better with some steel brushing. Also bought new trunk release. No use trying to save the old one.
Also this is my summer/weekend/race car, not a daily driver, and i've got a 6 point cage going in soon. Back will be gutted

Last edited:
I would just say go ahead and use the flat back paint, or maybe use undercoating, the undercaoting will provide some rust protection over just paint and will also add some grip.

Have you looked over your car really well for rust that may be hiding? That looks like a scary amount of rust... Or what use to be rust.

i have look all over the car, an this is the worst of it, there is some minor rust behind the rockers, and as always in the rear wheel wells, rusted all the way into the trunk, both sides, about the size of a toonie, ill fust fiberglass that, also there is some on the front of the rear wheel wells but its been fixed before, but ill redo it and cut out the rust, as for the rust behind the rockers, its mostly surface so ill brush it off and undercoat it. And it was a scary amount of rust. I seriously almost cried when i took out my rug. But its all fixed now, doesn't look the best, but with everything in place you can only see it from the bottom.

Back