Need Help!!! Computer Ecu Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

530kingteg

Now, for the help! Ill tell you my issue and ill make it nice and simple. I have a 1999 Integra LS, i bought a 1995 GSR Head that i got a great deal on, im going to do an LS/VTEC conversion. I got everything i need, BUT since the cars a 99 an the heads a 95 i dont wanna do a 95 ECU swap. The reason is when i have it in the shop or i have to get it smogged i dont want the diagnostics machines reading the cars computer and have it showing up as a 1995 GSR, i dont mind if it says 1999 GSR because that could be just a misprint on the smog papers, an i could get dmv to change that. SOOOOO my big question is HOW do i get this head to work with this block with out having the computers reading it as a 95 integra? 99 is ok even if it says gsr but 95 is a no no. I also dont want to sell my head because i got it for $400 an it has 0 miles an it has stage 2 mods done to it already. Isnt there a way i could convert the 95 to work with a 99 ecu OR a bypass of some sort? IF any one out there is smart enough to figure this out please let me know, it would be a big help, but if you dont know what your talking about please dont waste my time as well as room on this thread, once again thank you

Why don't you just keep the 99 LS ecu that you have already, and just use that for the smog, and then use a socketed p28 and an obd2>obd1 conversion harness for when you aren't smogging it? I don't know the differences in the pins on the obd2 LS and GSR ecus, but I do know that the GSR ecus have output signals for the IABs, VTEC, and the knock sensor. My friend's 96 Accord uses the same 4-wire o2 sensors as the 95's, or so it looked, but I could be wrong. I assume that they just added connections for those to populate the wiring harness. But the LS ecu should run your engine fine, minus the VTEC. Anyone have any help? I'm only familiar with obd0 and obd1, so maybe someone with obd2 experience will chime in. Here is a link to the ECU pinouts for honda ecus. It looks like the gsr ecu harness will just be more populated than the ls harness, and the LS ecu should run the engine fine for the smog inspection.
https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/ecu-pinouts-28667/

If you live in California, head swaps are illegal, and will not pass smog (visual inspection part), no matter what ecu you run.

Back