1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Diagnosing Some Trouble

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by Elnyne, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

Hey all I have a problem, I having trouble diagnosing...:confused: when ever I get into 5th gear in my 1995 Civic DX coupe with a JDM D15b swap, it feels like the car gets heavy or under powered and actually loses speed. I changed the spark plugs and it seemed to cure it... for 2 days then on my way home tonight it started up again. I've checked the timing, fuel filter, Clean, changed oil and filter, air filter is clean, catyltic converter is working properly, had it checked, no clogs "beautiful flow" they said. also checked wheel bearings and for sticking brakes, and nada...so could it be a faulty MAP sensor? could it be or some other sensor? I'm not getting a CEL . and I'm running the proper P08 ECU for the D15B but I still have it wired with a 4 wire O2 sensor instead of the 1 wire. (The ECU isnt looking for the heater wires so that shouldn't bother it right?)

Jason

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

Check the TPS. I've had mine go bad and it didn't cause a CEL. When it went bad the car ran like ass under low throttle conditions, i.e. cruuising in 5th gear.

3. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

thanks will do. . . but how do i do that?

4. mintoxik

mintoxik Member

check the volts i think its the middle wire
    but i dont know the specs sorry

5. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

Closed throttle is .50 volts and WOT is 4.5 volts

Taken from:
    OBD Wiring Guides
    TPS Installation and Testing (Step #12)

6. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

hey thanx guys!

7. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

also what trany did u use? if u used the DX trany there is ya loss of power lol... u need a EX or SI trany :)

8. Hfiend

Hfiend New Member

i agree with^ 5th could be slipping also i could be wrong tho

9. Avianman

Avianman New Member

That's three votes for the tranny.....is this a new thing, or has it always done this?

10. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

Thanx guys Sorry I've been away for a while. I put in a spare Throttle position sensor I had. as well as a map sensor. This helped alot. now I actually can accelerate in 5th albeit slowly, and I'm still using WAY to much fuel. Also the engine turns over like it overly advanced.(it's not It's spot on!) it'll crank for a second or 2 then start to stumble and catch up. could that be a fuel pressure problem? I talked to a cousin of mine who said he had a similar problem with his 3rd gen talon. He switched out the fuel pressure regulator and it seemed to cure it. I wondered if there might be a consenses on that here and if so, how do I trouble shoot it. Can I pop off a hose and try to suck or blow? ( already did and no give either way...so what does that mean? LOL) As far as Tranny's go it is the DX model I know it has the wrong gearing but I'll live with it till a LSD SI trans becomes available for cheap.

Jason

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  11. frodotoolbox

frodotoolbox 92 civic si d15b

your syncros in the trans could be bad for fifth.

12. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

:huh: But that would not cuase the engine to just spin on start up, like it's got no fuel, for a few seconds then eventually catch and run. Tranny's fine guys. It's got to be fuel system.

Jason

13. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

switched out the Fuel Pressure Regulator with the one off my old B7, we'll see if it makes a diffrence on tomarrows commute. if not I'm tearing into the fuel pump. maybe it's on it's last leg and losing pressure... will also switch out the fuel filter...AGAIN! lol

Jason

14. Elnyne

Elnyne New Member

changing the FPR DEFINANTLY helped! now it just is slow becuase of the trans... anyone got a D15B 5 Speed w/ a LSD for cheap?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted