Need HELP! Dreaded crank pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PowerAddict

Okay guys, whats up. I'm new, I joined because I'm helping a friend do a timing belt on his 2.3 accord and I can NOT get that crank pulley bolt loose. I've done searches on google and I'm just wondering what other options there might be?

Also, where can you get a cam sprocket?

Thanks,
Matt

You can loosen the crank pulley by holding the outside of the pulley still (we used an old belt) and turn the crank bolt using a 3 ft. cheater bar. You need a LOT of torque. Use a 3 ft. or longer bar and turn that bar real good to loosen it. It's pretty hard even with air tools
Its actually VERY EASY to change. All you need is a prybar, 1/2 drive ratchet, a 19mm socket, a small 1/2 extention, and a foot long pipe that can just barely fit on the end of the ratchet. Take all your belts off and then stick the prybar into the opening of the transmission(where you would check the timing) and brace it into the teeth of the flywheel. Take your 1/2 ratchet with the pipe for added leverage put your 19mm with the extention on the crank bolt and start pullinor pushing it will take a little bit of effort but once you break it loose its smooth sailing from there. Intallation is reverse of removal. Just MAKE SURE the little pin hole in the center of the pully is lined up or you will put it on crooked and you will fu*k some sh*t up.

Dont know what a cam sproket is , i know what a cam gear is. honda dealer. Or op to aftermarket, aem ect.

yeah, cam sprocket is the gear (alldata refers to it as a sprocket)

And I coudln't hold the outside of the pulley still, that was the problem. But you're saying there's an opening to the flywheel that we can brace? Where?? Isn't there a chance to break a tooth on the flywheel though?

thanks for your help!

I think your going to hav to take the cover off to access the leverage point. If your fly wheel is stock . your not going to break it . Those things are some heavy steel, dont go crazy with it . jut enough to get the bolt loose.

have you tried an impact gun , electric or pnuematic. Thats what most shops uses.

I havn't tried the flywheel thing because I don't really see how to do it.

why no heat? I'm using propane not oxy-acetelene

I recently removed the crank bolt on my h22a. I had to buy a special tool that will hold the pulley. Put a cheater bar on the end of that and one on the end of a breaker bar w a 19mm socket. I tried four different impacts and none would touch it. i got my tool from snap on for 70 bucks. Moroso and altrade also make a tool. You can try holding the fly wheel with a breaker bar or something similar but you run the risk of breaking tooth off

Yeah, I don't know where I can buy the tool locally though. Plus, i'd only need it ONE time.

where can I get to that flywheel? I don't see where.

i think i know your problem , what ftp is your impact gun , what is recommended for crank pulleys is a to use a 3/4inch drive impact wrench that put out 2,000lb/tq(normally used for heavy construction equipment), And you can rent these at your local tool rentals stores. And I was advised that you might have to leave it on there for a few minutes. There only torqued down at 181fpt. Unless someone went crazy that had removed it before , and as far as the access to the flywheel , Did you remove the cover plate. There is an access point to pry safely from.

its funny you bring that up, I was just saying that i'm going to have to rent an impact from the hardware store.

I took of the starter and we were able to get to the fly wheel perfectly. I used a post jack as the extension on my breaker bar making about 4.5 feet the torque multiplier must have been immense...the breaker bar looked like "U". The bolt will not come loose. I'm going to have to rent a heavy ass impact, there's no other way. I appreciate all your help.

btw, my impact is of decent ft/lb 550, but the bolt is just laughing at it.

Yeah you got a shitty bolt. I am sure your have been putting some penatrating Lubrication on there. Still a no go huh ? I guess you have no option other than getting you a nasty impact driver. Just make sure whenyou put it back on you torque it to 181 fpt.

Hey man I just barely did my crank out of the engine. It was a real pain in the ass because the impact was almost not strong enough.
First, go to your local autoparts store.
Second, purchase the lubricant that freezes while lubricating. Stuff is the shit, military friend says the army switched to using it on all there stuff so it has to be the goods when used for working on tanks, planes, and the like. It freezes the threads while lubricated them, causing them to shrink and break the rust that is keeping the bold fused.
Third spray it real good. Keep in mind it has a really thick washer that you need to get behing to hit the threads, spray there for a real long time. Then hit the back behind the crank pulley. Let it sit for about one minute.
Turn your impact as high as it will go or whatever you've got(I used a somewhat decent 1/2 inch impact) and drill it for a long time. Slowly it will, all and all, jar loose a bit then quickly come off.
Repeat as necessary.
Let me know

If your not going down the impact wrench lane prepare to suffer. I've done the flywheel thing, but while the engine was still mostly mounted. The problem is with the flywheel ordeal is that thatt whole engine will try and torque around until eventually it will lift off the ground and slip off the prybar.
Assuming you still have the palet, the only way to do it would be to secure your engin to the entire pallet using tie-me downs. This will help limit the whole engine from lifting off the ground. But still pretty risky.

If you decide to go the pulley holding tool route you can the one from altrade on amazon for like 25 bucks or so. Once i got the right tool i had that sucker off in less than two minutes, but you will need a second person

When I changed mine I left the car in 5th gear, had a friend stand on the brake, and used a LARGE breaker bar.

Back