Need help. First door wouldn't unlock, now won't close

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
So my driver side door wouldn't unlock about 2 days ago. Well today I got tired of unlocking it from the passenger side and pulled the door panel off. I gave everything a quick spray with WD40 (I've had the problem before and it worked). Nothing. I noticed that a bracket connecting the locking mechanism to the solenoid was loose, so I tightened that up (Again, I've had problems with this too). Well now it seems the actual lock is stuck in the lock position. When I hit the button on the key less remote the solenoid pops and all the parts move like there suppose to, except the door doesn't unlock. I'm looking for any and all help because right now my car is sitting in the street with a door that won't shut. Here are some pictures.
DSCN0037.jpg

Every thing above that I can see is working right.
DSCN0039.jpg

Above is where my problem lies. It seems to be stuck in the locked position. Any advice on how to "unlock" it?

Why not just stick a screwdriver in it like the strike plate would and pull the handle and pull on the screwdriver so that it opens up the latch

I'll give that a try. I kind of already did something like it, but not that exact thing. If that doesn't work I just searched the Service Manual (page 823) for how to remove the latch. Easy once I downloaded a new one (for some reason my CD didn't work). If what you suggested doesn't work, I'll remove the latch. It may be easier to fix if it's not in the car. If I can't fix it, it's already out. I can just replace it.

And make sure you don't have the door locked when you are trying to do it, otherwise it obviously isn't going to open

You shouldn't have to remove it though, because it obviously isn't broken since the door got open some how.

Edit: Is it possible that the latch was broken and that's why you couldn't get out of the car?

Did what you said. Placed the screwdriver with a little pressure, pulled the handle, POP!! Functioning just fine again. Just to be sure, I tightened up all the parts and sprayed the moving parts with WD40. Now all the car needs is an oil change and brake pads to be back to tip top DD status. Then the sunroof install before the end of summer would be just peachy.

great, happy to hear that it's all fixed. Hopefully it didn't get too wet inside

Had that too in my daytona, door would not stay closed when it got cold, had to hold the bungee and drive, its hard to hold that shit back even on wide corners.

Back