Need help fixing auto trans. fluid leak in '98 jeep cherokee sport

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dacheat

..is grounded.
My jeep is leaking tranny fluid on the cooler line fittings where the rubber hose is connected to the hard line with a 'bead lock' type connection:

beadlock.jpg

Can the outer metal wrapping be removed and then the hose clamped on with hose clamps? i.e. is the piece of hardline under the metal beadlock barbed or flared so a hose clamp would hold the rubber line on?

The reason I'm considering this is that its the run from the tranny and according to what I've been able to find, once the tranny side connectors are loosened they'll always leak. I don't want to trade one leak for another.

Thanks for any help - this leak sucks! :)

it seems like you could do that. if not i guess you might could just get a hose that a little bigger and slide over it and clap both sides

I would just replace the whole line from the tranny to the cooler. There will be copper washers on either side of the banjo fitting on the tranny, you need to replace those when you replace the cooler line or yes it will leak from there because you wont get a good seal.

thats a hydraulic type line, and i don't think what you're planning will work very well
those connectors are usually used for high pressure

i'd replace it

:hmm: crap. no macguyver fixes eh? :(

edit: found this 'how to' - check step 4 - that's kinda what i'm thinking about...i don't have a pic of what it looks like stock, but basically there's two leak points that suck balls and this would fix it....but not sure if it'd hold up over time or not...

i hear ya, recked - do it the long, hard way. but ..... dammit macguyver is so cool! :D

Last edited:
Or you could sell me the Jeep, I need a trail rig.:D

snicker - if you want a grape coolaid colored flying box, let's talk :rolleyes: - i'd be serious if it wasn't my winter beater.

i hear ya, i actually love them too. just hating the ATF leak and the fact that the dealer had it listed as 'blue' when it is really royal purple. nevar buy a vehicle at night in a dust storm. :D

it's getting painted to match my rex in the spring, as both have some pretty serious paint flaws.

i just got rid of my cherokee for a si hatch lol replace the line hose clamps would only be a temp fix and it will blow later down the road and cause real problems

If you want, you can fix it temporarily with some push-lock connectors with heavy duty hydraulic hose-clamps.

But I agree, that's like rigging together an A/C line with flair-nut joiners. Get the right part, or just loop the tranny-cooler lines back in temporarily.

Back