need help from DJ's/composers that write house/trance etc.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
still kinda new to the house/trance/dj thing and I have been stumped on something for a bit now and look to my fellow H-swappers for some help. I have been writing alot in reason/recycle/frooty loops/etc., plus doing some live mixing/recording as well. Now the one thing I can't seem to get a hold of is accapella tracks for vocals ....online anyways!...I know I can find generic vocals, but looking for major label artists to use to mix/sample. I know I can go out and buy/borrow/steal mad vinyl, but this is the digital age, and though I respect vinyl, I don't wanna dish out the cash for a whole collection. There has to be places online to find/download/pay whatever for acapella tracks..anyone?

:eek:

they are VERY rare in the electronica world. Hip hop artists release these things all the time, but electronica guys don't very often. Sometimes there's b-sides that have them, but again, its VERY rare. I used to be on a vinyl rip torrent site... but i forgot the name of it. i'll see if i can dig it up.

hybrid89 said:
still kinda new to the house/trance/dj thing and I have been stumped on something for a bit now and look to my fellow H-swappers for some help. I have been writing alot in reason/recycle/frooty loops/etc., plus doing some live mixing/recording as well. Now the one thing I can't seem to get a hold of is accapella tracks for vocals ....online anyways!...I know I can find generic vocals, but looking for major label artists to use to mix/sample. I know I can go out and buy/borrow/steal mad vinyl, but this is the digital age, and though I respect vinyl, I don't wanna dish out the cash for a whole collection. There has to be places online to find/download/pay whatever for acapella tracks..anyone?

:eek:

you're trying to find vocals for big name songs? if so, unless you know people and run pro tools chances are you'll never ever ever find anything.

You can use a parametric EQ to notch the 2-4khz range. This is where the vocals will be 99% of the time. That is a cheap and fairly effective way to remove them. You will lose some audio quality along the way, but no matter the software, this will be the case. (Even if it is smarter than this notch filter.) This is somehting you can do with almost any shareware audio software.

Most remixes you'll notice the org music playing in the background. they just add a loud ass beat over top it and cover it up.

BTW fruityloops is for kids. fun to toy with but if you want to do anything worth while you need to upgrade to pro tools or sonar.

oh p.s if you want to find just random sampled vocals you can buy many different sample CDs with random vocals. or go to pee 2 p and look up prosamples nothing great but if you have nothing it's better then that.

Cool Edit Pro had a feature called Vocal Cut which did exactly that. Or something similar to it, at least. The idea behind their Vocal Cut is that on most recordings, the vocals are in the center, while the instrumentation is distributed on both stereo channels, so if you invert the left channel and mix it with the right channel, both signals will eventually cancel out themselves, leaving you only with the signal in the "middle". Results depend on the source track of course, ranging from poor to very useful (if you Vocal Cutted Depeche Mode's "World In My Eyes (oil tank mix)" you had pretty much all the vocals without music).

Since Cool Edit Pro is now Adobe Audition, you might want to try out a demo version to find out whether it works with the songs you are looking for.

A perfect vocal extraction from a song without any noise or instruments is impossible - just like getting the complete egg out of a cake again.

jeffie7 said:
you're trying to find vocals for big name songs? if so, unless you know people and run pro tools chances are you'll never ever ever find anything.

You can use a parametric EQ to notch the 2-4khz range. This is where the vocals will be 99% of the time. That is a cheap and fairly effective way to remove them. You will lose some audio quality along the way, but no matter the software, this will be the case. (Even if it is smarter than this notch filter.) This is somehting you can do with almost any shareware audio software.

Most remixes you'll notice the org music playing in the background. they just add a loud ass beat over top it and cover it up.

Hey Jeffie,

Not to be a dick for pointing it out, but a notch filter doesn't attenuate frequencies around a specific bandwidth .... that's a bandpass filter you're talking about. A notch filter is used to attenuate a specific (usually problematic) frequency (frequencies) which is controlled by the Quality (Q). Engineers used to use notch filters to remove 60&50 cycle hum (depending if you're in North America or Europe) among other uses ... needless to say they're not used much anymore, nor have a "musical" use other than some cool filter sweep effects.

The method of carving out the vocals in a track is pretty much a useless battle. The thing with a good vocal (or any sound for that matter other than a pure sine wave) is that a lot of its character comes from octaves in the low and high end, which are not a part of the fundamental, which give the voice its characteristic timbre. Carving out those naturally occuring frequencies will thin out the voice so much that it wont even resemble itself when your done. Even if you could carve out a bandwidth in which the vocal is based, you would also need to consider one thing: if a reverb was used on the vocal, you would need to also know how the reverb was tuned, and how the reflections were EQ'd. If the vocal was mixed with a plate reverb that started to roll off at 10K, and you try to filter out all the way down to 4kHz, well, there goes the vocal sound down the shitter.

Basically, don't even try .... it's not worth the effort.

In terms of finding Acapellas, you just have to keep looking .... it took me a LONG ass time to get all the acapellas I have .... like years and years. And shit ... I haven't touched those in years.

And dude, having my Pro Tools certification in Post and Music .... if you're into writing in MIDI, PT isn't really where it's at for that shit ... you can do it, but there are better options .... Reason not being one of them due to bunk-ass sounding synths. If you are cool and have a Mac, Logic 7 is where it's at for MIDI ... there are earlier versions for PC available though.

Good luck though!

I asked the same question he asked awhile back, I was just quoting the replys I got =)
From what hes said, it doesnt look like he does much midi work. I use midi, that's why I use Sonar 4

It's all good dude, just giving you the correct info so you know it for later.

And if you're writing in reason, or using soft synths in any program for that matter, you're writing in the MIDI protocol. MIDI is just the protocol for accessing the sounds .... the soft synth is making the sound itself.

How is Sonar by the way? I haven't touched that program before.

Matt just remember when you get these acapellas when you find them ......
If you find them you must use the BPM that they come with so you will have to set your music in MIDI to that same BPM. Also I don't live too far away so if you need any info or anything let me know and I will swing by. By the way when are we going to start recording??????

actually i DO use a lot of midi and have pro tools also...this is mainly what i am recording live tracks into...I use reason 3.0 a lot for beats, splicing parts and such..Thanks for everyones info, but basicly I got the answer I need....Hard to find..as far as the BPM, I can manipulate that no prob, I just need some good vocals that I don't have to spend mad time on, but it looks like I will if I am dead set on certain tracks... Also I have pretty much out grwon reason already and plan on getting Logoc 7, and DAMN yes I am on a MAC

i like reason a lot. good tool :)

i can't find that damn torrent site though :( can't remember what it's called for the life of me.

Back