need help gaining weight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It is soo much easier to put mass on than to remove it..

the hell it is. try being 150 lbs and getting to 160. it was a bitch when i was in high school.

i weighed 190 about 4 months ago and with eating right and working out, i'm down to 180. it was far easier to lose than to gain.

the key for you k2e2vin is to eat lean protein. not carbs or just a lot of pure calories. you have to eat stuff that has calories and protein and not fatty foods. because you might gain weight, but it will be sloppy weight.

body conditioning is a science. just like building a fast car. you put a higher grade octane when you want better performance. you put better stuff into the system for it to perform better.

don't ever ever ever replace a meal with a drink. the drinks are for between meals. to supplement a diet, not replace a meal. if you are eating 2000 calories, get a shake that has at least 500 calories per drink. then drink one between meals.

how to gain weight - Google Search

just like we tell people about cars. read read read, then decide what is right for you.

am i the only one whose target is lower than actually wieght.. I'm 215 and I am targeting 195.. It is soo much easier to put mass on than to remove it..

Keep that in mind

I did get down to 205 at one point but that was on a 1200 calorie diet and exerise.. but that made me into a jerk all the time cause it wasn't healthy

oh and soda puts the weight on for me.. not good weight but still 10lbs from just drinking 1 liter of soda a day...

Christ... that's the biggest load of bull. If you have mass, you should work out and tone it into muscle. You'll gain weight, but you'll be buffed out.

It is EXTREMELY hard for someone like me and K2e2vin to gain weight. I could out eat quite a few people on this board and lose a couple pounds from the work it takes to digest the food.

I've been 6' flat and between 130-139 since my Junior year in high school. Simply eating doesn't just put on fat with guys like myself.

You can't turn fat into muscle. Thats the single most retarded myth there ever was about working out.

erebunicrx - I've seen your pictures in the thread about your shop. The difference between yourself and the thread starter is you have the body type to be able to maintain that weight. It was obvious in your pictures that you have just have the body type to be a thick, "staulky" guy. There's guys like yourself and there's guys like myself that are "slender" and have to fight to keep mass on.

Basically I'm going with the girl in this thread because she said the most intelligent thing so far. Buy whey protein powder and use it as a supplement to your diet, to add extra protein. Protein is the building block of muscle, so its a must if you're trying to put on clean weight. Add some peanut butter, sugar free ice cream, and a banana to make a little shake with extra calories in it if need be.

You won't know how many calories you need to take in until you figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate), the amount of calories you burn at rest. Do a google search for a BMR calculator which will take into account your height, weight, and age, along with other factors if its a good calculator, like activity level. This should be your target caloric intake.

Also eating shitty food to gain weight *IS* retarded and proposterious. You'll put on fat and certainly won't be doing your body a public service by clogging your arteries with saturated fat and high cholesterol. Fast food is the last thing in this world that you should be eating. If you want to gain weight, eat good, clean healthy homemade food. It will have all the vitamins and nutrition that processed store food doesn't include which you'll need to help you recover from the lifting you're doing.

Did I mention that? Your ass better be lifting if you're trying to put on weight. Lift heavy, eat big, and get plenty of rest.

You can't expect to gain good, clean, healthy weight without lifting and exercising. The weight you'll gain will be fat, and trust me regardless of how lean you think you are you don't want to only gain fat. Not only is it not healthy, but girls dig guys who are ripped.

Peanut Butter!

Every morning, eat pancakes with a crapload of peanut butter (and butter and syrup) and a big glass of Milk. Real milk, not the 2% Stuff. Peanut butter is one of the best weight gain foods there is, it can readily be turned into muscle. You might shift your diet more toward meat and potatoes too.

Its really not hard to lose weight or gain it you just have to work for it. this only applies if your not obese or ill, disease.

I always hear the same things about this subject just like jeffie said.

You want to gain weight? Its going to cost you sweat, time and money.

Diet needs to change dramatically, weight training is a must and if you really want that extra 10 then heavy weight training is the only way. anyone can do this they just have to be determined and dedicated.

My workout partner was able to gain 15 pounds over a 7 month period training heavy with me. he changed his diet eating organic foods and the essentials ie. fish, chicken, lean beef. protein intake is the most important part of gaining weight while training, rule of thumb: you weigh 150lbs then your protein intake should be 300 grams per day if you are trying to gain lean muscle mass. some of the weight gained is going to be water weight but it will still add some size to you.

my co worker is an amateur bodybuilder so i see what he eats every single day, 8 meals portioned out everyday. so if you really want to gain weight you have to work for it.

peanut butter is a good source of "weight gain food" as stated above, well peanut butter is a good source of protein but peanut butter also has a lot of sodium and fat.

Last edited:
i dont have the discipline, and i dont want to go to nautilis (sp). my mom is a member there, but that place is too stuffy. i drive by my old gym and i see the car of a one night stand there, and i just keep driving. i keep thinking about renewing my membership, but she is always there when i want to work out, so i need to find a good gym that is close to home, and there are only 2 that i know about (and the local ymca). so i live with my little body and im happy that im not fat like a lot of my friends....

burnout, you have never seen pics of me. theres josh aka hotrex and corer aka coreyr. im not in it at all. when bulking its fine to take in any kinda protein you want to even if it means eating a double cheese buger. 1 month ago i was 186 5'9 and 11% bodyfat. but im still bulking now. in the winter i will start toning.

man...i was stuck at 150 for 5 years...my weight wouldnt budge...no matter what i did...high metabolism can be a bitch...lol...but i just recently gained 15 pounds...the curse was broken and now i weigh 165...but ive always been active with football and soccer in school...and now that im out of school...im still keeping active with soccer...so yea...that could also explain why i dont gain weight...i burn it off playin sports

yeah and your not gaining muscle mass. also people who drink alot of caffine dont have trouble gaining weight and muscle mass.

burnout, you have never seen pics of me. theres josh aka hotrex and corer aka coreyr. im not in it at all. when bulking its fine to take in any kinda protein you want to even if it means eating a double cheese buger. 1 month ago i was 186 5'9 and 11% bodyfat. but im still bulking now. in the winter i will start toning.

Usually its bulk in the winter, cut in the summer because thats when you want to be seen but ass backwards is okay I guess. Whatever floats your boat.

I thought you were in those pics, so I retract my comments.

Also its absolutely not alright to be eating double cheese burgers to gain weight. Its like that commerical with the kid who only brushes the front of his teeth and cleans what everyone sees. They show the one side of his hands are clean and the other are dirty.

Its just like that analogy but with the inside and outside of your body. A 98% lean ground beef cheeseburger is alright, but fast food doesn't use 98% lean ground beef - they use shitty, fatty, loaded with saturated fat processed beef and fattening cheese. Also the rolls that fast food places use are highly processed and if you let one piece of bread sit on your tongue for a few minutes, your salivary amalyase (the enzyme in your spit) will disolve the bread to sugar - all the white bread is, is refined sugar.

I hate trying to talk health and nutrition on this board because everyone thinks its just so simple and what you see on the outside is what you get. I don't want to talk down to anyone, or be condescending but seriously if it was that easy than the greater majority of the United States wouldn't be overweight and have serious health issues. As it is, with the mind state of the "typical American" thats its okay to eat cheeseburgers to gain weight and eat whatever you like, gets us into major problems. It comes along with the same mentality of "bigger is better".

Hell no, all wrong.

If you need a workout routine, a diet, and the whole nine yards I can set you up. I won't help anyone who isn't seriously committed or doesn't want to really change, because its a waste of time. I've helped those in need on here before and I can provide you with whatever advice and insight you need.

Also about the argument regarding "its easier to gain weight, than it is to lose weight" Think of it this way, its generally accepted that there should be a 2lb/week fat loss on a healthy diet. Some say thats an overshot and only the obese should be losing 2lbs a week, so we'll cut that in half and say you lose 1lb/week for one entire year. Thats a possible 52lbs of fat loss in a year. You're never going to see anyone, short of puberty or steroids, gain 52lbs of muscle in a year. A 20lb gain of pure muscle is amazing, to put things in perspective. So in terms of time committment, it will take you far longer to gain the muscle and the mass than it will lose the weight.

maybe cardio is for the summer but i started in the spring and did not want to jump on cardio before getting bigger. im interested in what type of body you have?

this is taken off another site wich is mostly dedicated to buklking and getting huge

When I am in a mass building phase, I just eat and try to feed my body what it needs. When I do this, I will gain some fat weight… But so what? I can take care of that later with my good friend cardio, and his cousin low carbs. Simple fact is, the more calories you take in, the more you will gain, plain and simple. Listen, don’t be scared to get fat… When you shed the fat you will see the hard work and all the gains on stage. You can be lean and mean on a diet or fat and happy eating for size. That is difference between the onseason and the offseason.

also i dont think the thread starter ever said what kinda weight he wanted to gain.

You can't turn fat into muscle. Thats the single most retarded myth there ever was about working out.

I didn't mean you'll turn fat into muscle. You'll turn your girth into muscle. You'll be as heavy/heavier, but it'll be muscle instead of fat. I did write it so it sounded like that though.

peanut butter is a good source of "weight gain food" as stated above, well peanut butter is a good source of protein but peanut butter also has a lot of sodium and fat.

People will soooo take this comment the wrong way.

NATURAL peanut butter is great for you. not that jiff, peter pan shit.
Natural peanut butter should have 1 or 2 things in it.

peanuts, and sometimes salt.

if you see sugar on the label put that shit back.

People will soooo take this comment the wrong way.

NATURAL peanut butter is great for you. not that jiff, peter pan shit.
Natural peanut butter should have 1 or 2 things in it.

peanuts, and sometimes salt.

if you see sugar on the label put that shit back.

yeah but how many of the guys on this site would go get natural peanut butter? lol

yeah but how many of the guys on this site would go get natural peanut butter? lol

It can be found anywhere and IMO its much better then the other crap. If you're a sweets freak, get some honey. at least its a natural source of sugar. rather then some fake shit they pump in there.

i like my jiff. fucker back up. dont take away my jiff. i dont like that watery ass 'natural' peanut butter.

Back