Need help getting new boost setup to START!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
car: 92 civic si
engine: 96 GSR, obd1 p72 ecu
mods: complete rebuild including eagle rods, JE 9.0-1 turbo pistons, upper block gaurd, ferrea valve train(valves, springs, retainers). Standard bore, new oem rings, all new oem gaskets.
turbo: rev hard kit. with t3/to4e precision turbo, vortech FMU and BOV and Tial waste gate.
Got everything buttoned up last night. at first the car started right up with a very low idle(we had a backwards TB gasket and could hear a loud leak). after that was fixed the car will no continue to run with , like it is starving for air. maybe the vacumm lines are mixed up. I'm not a turbo expert. I can easily build motors, buit problem shooting a new turbo setup is out of my league. any help would be appriciated.

matt

well it seems logical that it was something you touched when turning the gasket around. What did you disconnect and reconnect?

nothing. heard the air leak, shut the car off. disconnect the TB, turned the gasket around, bolted it back up and now it will not run. it trys to start, but dies immediatley.????

How about you take off the intercooler tubing and just run the car NA with no filter for a few seconds. If it won't start that way, then it's not the lines fault (at least probably). Also check for black smoke coming from the back after you start it, if there is some smoke, then the car is too rich (you should be able to smell it also).

There shouldn't be a problem with the vacuum lines, they should all just be connected togethor. There should be on one the wastegate, one on the BOV, one on top of the FMU, one to the normal fuel regulator, and NOT to the PCV exit valve. The PCV valve can't see boost so hook it up with seperate lines to the filter housing; this isn't the problem as it stands, but I'm just saying for further reference.
What does rev hard use for fuel managment? FMU and missing link? Make sure the missing link or check valves are pointing the correct direction. If those aren't it, I'd check the map sensor voltage and TPS sensor voltage. IT should be .5 at idle for TPS and 2.8 or so on the map sensor (When it is NOT running). This should drop to about 1.9 when the car is on (don't quote me on that I forget exactly; but you get the idea, somewhere in there). If all that checks out, I'd ponder and ask wtf the ECU is doing to screw it up, it didn't come with new injectors did it?

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 6 2004, 12:54 PM
if your car won't idel, it has next to nothing to do with the turbo or the parts there-of.

thats what I wanted to hear.

Back