Need help identifying my engine.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

John89

Wanna be speed demon.
I need help figurering out what engine I have. I have a '89 civic hatchback.
D15B1
or
D15B2
Im 80% sure its the B1 which sucks but I can't rely on wikipedia...

Last edited:
open the hood, and look at the block to the left of the exhaust manifold where the tranny connects, there is a badge spot there. that will tell you what the engine code is

yea the engine code is stamped on the block, grease may be covering it....just wipe it off and read the code.

I think im a little special or something if i was to put up pix could someone circle were it be... if its on my engine ill need degreaser. (might not be a joke)

Last edited:
here ya go

Attachments

• honda010.jpg
    honda010.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 225
I know on my Integra DC2 the DC2 is worked into the VIN.
I do not know for sure but I would assume you could derive the engine from said number. Still looking on the block itself would be the best derivation of identity as a previous owner could have swaped around bits and parts. Not that Honda people have ever displayed a perpensity to do so...

Last edited:
Yea it says D15B2 is this a halfway decent start? And what would be the stock HP on this?
Blanco is your '90 a hatch? If so, do you know if a CRX rear bumper and cover will fit ours?

Last edited:
This is one of the less powerful engines, actually. It's got 92hp stock, on a very healthy engine. Check the Reference Section and you can find a list of most of the engines.

Yep, it's a hatch. I'm pretty sure the CRX has different body lines for every panel. I know the front end is slightly different.

Yeah I know that you can put the front bumper from a CRX on the hatch, it gets rid of that little filler piece between the hood and the bumper, but the back bumper is different. Oh also CRX dash fits in the hatch.

a buddy of mine tried to put hatch front bumper on his CRX and it wouldnt fit.. so i assume it goes the other way too..

Oh okay thank ya. I think that is all I need to fix for it to be ready to do body work... My car is what people call junk, its funny when I beat them.:D

i have a D15B2 also in my crx and its a pretty strong motor i beat an ls with the motor bone stock...i couldnt believe it myself when it happened

Back